Behind the Scenes of My Better Homes and Gardens Shoot

Hey, hey! So, today instead of DIY Monday, I want to share with you some behind the scenes action of my Better Homes and Gardens photo shoot. Don’t worry, the DIY’s are a coming still! I messed with the schedule because I am over at BHG’s Style Spotters blog and I thought it would make the perfect day to dish on my shoot!

I always like reading about stuff like this and thought you might get a kick out of it too.

I had cleaned and cleaned…and cleaned…

Then, the day came for BHG to come to my house. The morning before the shoot,  BHG stylist Lindsay Berger came on over to start styling the bookcases and check things out. She was the sweetest and she came with goodies too. After helping her carry in bags and bags and boxes she settled in.

BHG photo shoot

Before BHG came over, I had emailed them shots of my bookcases and items on them. They had a very clear idea of what they wanted on them. They also had a color story and specific colors they wanted me to wear. Lindsay had sourced a few items for the shelves and also pulled some decor from BHG’s prop shop.

My friends all wanted to know if I got to keep anything from the shoot. Items that were purchased I had the option to buy. The flowers, plants, drinks, and food they brought for styling we got to keep. My boys were very excited about the two bags of Hershey’s Kisses!

I gave her a quick tour of the house. I am embarrassed to say that we had just ripped the floor out of the main bathroom to start the remodel, but she was gracious and nice about the whole thing.

My living room was completely clean and lovely that morning. I wasn’t sure what was going to happen. Since BHG had a vision of colors and textures they wanted used in the shot, a lot of what was on my bookcases came off. In fact, we took everything off and reworked them entirely.

I really just assisted in handing things to Lindsay or finding things when she wanted a metallic, or this color book, or something white. I was happy to be a fly on the wall and watch her work. Seeing her move a picture frame a centimeter or using objects to prop things up or add more height. I was taking styling notes in my head 😉

As she was working on the styling, BHG photographer Greg Scheidemann came on over to set up his camera and equipment.

We immediately realized that we would have to take almost all the furniture out of my living room to get the shot they needed. We moved the sofa all the way over in front of the fireplace so it was out of the way. All my chairs lived in the hallway. We had things covering my kitchen table. My rug was repositioned and coffee table was added to the shot.

Once everything was set up it was time to take some test shots and see clothing options. I stood in wearing different outfits and they sent the proofs right to the BHG team to get their feedback on changes that needed to be made. Lindsay kept adjusting and restyling things so they would look just right in the shot.

Greg had everything set up and ready to go the night before. I was like, “No kids, no dog, no Dave are allowed in this room! I love you guys but you are not allowed in here, not even to breathe!”

The next morning was PHOTO SHOOT MORNING :)

After wardrobe approval and getting my shirt clamped just right it was time to take some photos.

Greg had me laughing too much, which helped put me at ease. There were tweaks and last-minute styling changes here and there but it was a pretty quick process. Greg and Lindsay sent on over their favorite shots to the BHG team. I got to see firsthand on Greg’s computer what the photos looked like.

They tried a few different poses for some variety. What worked best was me leaning into the bookcases.

It was a great experience working with Lindsay and Greg. They are genuinely kind and fun which made the whole process all the more enjoyable. I hope our paths get to cross again one of these days. I just kept thinking to myself, “Ha! They are at work right now! That’s awesome!”

No BHG photo shoot would be complete without a selfie taken by the photographer 😉

A BIG THANK YOU to editor Kit Selzer for giving me this opportunity to be featured in my favorite magazine! Thanks again to Lindsay and Greg for a fun couple days that I will never forget. This was such a great experience to be a part of and it has inspired me even more to keep on doing what I love.

DIY Library Wall in August issue of BHG

courtesty of BHG

You can get all the details on my DIY Library Wall here.

Be sure to visit me over at BHG Style Spotters today!

1. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life says

How fun, so interesting to hear how this all goes down. You look amazing and your home is fabulous. Love, love, love those bookcases.

2. Gretchen@BoxyColonial says

I love reading about photo shoots! They always sound both really fun and kind of exhausting :). Congrats again on your feature!

• BLISS AT HOME says

It was so fun! The prep the day before was the longest part. Once they got it all tweaked everything else went really fast! xoxo

3. says

Stunning ~ both you and your home! I love, love the bookcases ~ so nice and styled perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing the behind the scenes process with us.

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks so much Pat :) It was such an interesting process and just makes me love all of this all the more! xoxo

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Emily :) It was so fun! Now I have photo shoot fever! I want to do it again and again and again 😉 xoxo

4. says

so fun and you look amazing!!!! i never got my issue= by the time i realized it had expired (and they didn’t send me a notice til last week) i went to the store to get it and they were all out. :( i went to two stores…. so bummed.

• BLISS AT HOME says

Oh bummer! Well, I think Dave bought out the grocery store the last time we were there! He embarrassed me so bad too. There we are with kids and groceries and he is showing the clerk and bagger my feature. I was blushing!!! xoxo

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Katja :) I love reading them too. I love to see what has to happen to get “the shot” xoxo Kristin

• BLISS AT HOME says

I know! The baskets were out of my budget at the time for that many. But at least I know where I can grab them to fit now :) xoxo

5. says

I just spent 30 minutes catching up on your last few posts since I am coming out of my summer hiatus :) So much good eye candy and I loved the behind the scenes of this post! I do not know how you pulled off that pose so effortlessly and pretty?! I would have been so awkward!

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Beth :) I have been in a blog coma all summer…it feels good to start to think I am getting back into the swing of things again 😉 It didn’t feel effortless…I was pressed up against those bookcases with clamps holding my shirt in and my upper body turned one way, and my legs pointing another…funny what ends up looking alright in the end :) xoxo

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks so much Aniko :) Yes it is! The challenge in this room is I have a long living room and they wanted a shot of all the bookcases. It was fun! xoxo

6. says

You are so cute instructing the family the night before! So glad to know I’m not the only one who does that. 😉
    So nice to hear that they take care of everything for you and style it their ‘own’ way. Wow. I guess the lesson learned for everyone BHG may visit… clean clean clean under everything and on top of everything because everything will be moved! 😉
    Thanks so much for sharing and your bookshelves look amazing! I also turn books around to give my styling a more uniform look. :) Love that! BTW, you look great! :) Hugs! xo

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Kristy! I could just see my little guy or the puppy going in there after they set up and knock down all that expensive equipment! That would have been tragic…plus my kids love to play with things on the bookcases! I don’t think the furniture moving is usually this extreme…It was just such a huge row of bookcases to fit into one shot and not have anything distract from them. I am glad I did extreme cleaning though 😉 xoxo

7. Trisha says

This was so fun to read! I guess my niave self would think they just come into your home and take pictures of your stuff. I didn’t know they would rework everything! I mean, your stuff and style is so chic… why rework it? But I guess they have a specific style in mind for this shoot. I searched and searched for BHG magazine to see your shoot! I finally found it while at the Express Care Clinic, while patiently waiting to see a doctor for my hacking cough. I took the magazine to the nurses desk and told the girls to check out our famous Rock Island Blogger! They were impressed!

8. Suzy Schindler says

Bravo on being featured in BH&G. I am disappointed that they took so much liberty in re-staging your home. Isn’t the whole idea to pass on your ideas, not theirs?

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Suzy :) The feature was meant to showcase my DIY Library Wall. It is interesting what goes into these shots. The good news is A LOT of what is on the shelves are our belongings just restyled and mixed in with a couple of theirs. They wanted a summery feel to the styling since it was an August issue. xoxo

9. Amber from WillsCasa.Com says

What an exciting time!! One of my favorite projects from you!! Congrats Kristin. So well deserved!!

10. says

this is so wonderful to see the whole back story behind the shoot here! i just found it on the BHG site after pouring through the magazine… such an amazing project!!! i was wondering if you remember what the stylist finally used for the bottom magazine baskets? i can’t find ones to fit our built-ins and these look incredible as they fit your space & shelves so beautifully! thanks in advance! ali

• BLISS AT HOME says

Hi Ali :) Yes, the baskets were from pier 1. I don’t remember their exact name. Pottery Barn also had an option that fit well. xoxo Kristin

11. Anne says

I noticed none of the book spines show; did they not want book titles showing or do you put your books in spine first?

• BLISS AT HOME says

Hi Anne, they had a very specific color story for the issue so they turned them to fit the colors they wanted. A lot of stylists do this for photos, but they are all turned back to normal now for real life 😉 xo