Summer Home Tour | Welcome to Our East Coast Rental

Hooray it’s Friday!! I am so happy to be sharing my Summer Home Tour with you today!

home tour 2

When Jen from Migonis Home asked me to be a part of her Summer Home Tour series, I originally wanted to decline because of the time frame. You see, we are not in our home right now. We had a unique opportunity to live on the East Coast for 3 months this summer. When I explained this to Jen, she didn’t mind and I hesitantly agreed ;)

I admit I must be part crazy, but that just seems to be the norm lately. We have only been here for two weeks and I was out of town for part of that. So, what you are seeing today is our East Coast rental 2 weeks in. It is in a great central location close to the ocean, beaches, Cape Cod, Boston, NYC, and so many more great destinations. It’s going to be a summer of sights and experiences for us and we are really excited to be here!!

After 2 weeks of settling into this apartment, it is starting to feel something like home. I brought some decor from our Illinois home to make it feel more familiar. This is a great lesson in working with what you have. We are in corporate housing and the apartment came furnished. I am grateful that it is neutral and pretty modern.

rug-palmsprings

The jumping off point for our summer rental is this green rug. I immediately thought Palm Springs Chic. Saturated greens and pinks with black and white accents. Even though I appreciate the beachy cottage look and it screams summer, seashells and starfish don’t make a lot of sense to me in my home since we live in Illinois. I tend to think of summer more in color and plant life. Now that we are closer to the sea, I am sure a sea shell will make its way home after one of our adventures.

And…yes, I still have sheep skins around, because I get cold in air-conditioning and I love the texture.

DIY-Border-curtains-ceiling-to-floor

Our living room is the first thing you see when you walk through our door. The window is the focal point, and I wanted it to be GRAND! I added these DIY Border Panels to give a vertical element and add some glamour and drama. I really feel like they are the eye candy of the room.

summer-home-tour-bliss-at-home

All the decor is from our living room back home and I think it works here.

Summer Home Tour via Bliss at Home

With some of my personal artwork from home, I created a gallery wall above the sofa. Command strips came in handy since I don’t want to leave a holes in the walls when we leave.

Summer Home Tour Bliss at Home

The colors are vibrant and it feels like a little vacation home to me.

east-coast-apt-gallery-wall

There is a market right up the street from me, and they sell $6 bouquets of roses. I will definitely be having roses on my coffee table all summer long at that price!

roses

One of my first thrifty finds since I started hunting the thrift shops here, is the vintage brass heron. He just seems very summery to me. He’s hanging out with a succulent I picked up from Trader Joe’s.

summer-home-tour-bliss-at-home-3

Right off of our living room we have a little balcony patio.

summer-home-tour-bliss-at-home-4

It’s just large enough for a couple of chairs and plants. It’s the perfect spot to have morning coffee and I am so glad we have our own little outdoor space here.

glidden-paint-chairs-after

I’ll be sharing more about my patio DIY’s on Monday.

Our patio overlooks a wildlife reserve so we have been hearing all kinds of interesting sounds at night and frogs. The frogs are SOOOO LOUD!

I also have my little guy “helping me” water the plants every morning. Really he just wants to mash his toys in the dirt. This is a judgement free zone, I’m sure if I was a 5-year-old boy I would be drawn to every patch of mud and dirt too.

summer-home-tour-bliss-at-home-5

Heading back inside, I have a little spot next to the living room that I have fashioned myself a little work space.

office-living-room

The nearest Ikea and $30 later and I have an office again.

summer-home-tour-bliss-at-home-6

With a $20 Ikea desk and my $10 office chair score from the local Habitat Restore, I have an office. I absolutely love the chair and I am seriously considering taking it home with me. The upholstery is kelly green and I think the base is begging to be gold.

summer-home-tour-bliss-at-home-7

I miss my hydrangea bush back home, so I had to add some in. They are a summer staple to me.

summer-home-tour-bliss-at-home-9

One of my favorite things here is the art from the Beverly Collection from the Aestate. It has a summer vibe and ties in all the greens from the living room and our views out the windows.

Our kitchen and bathrooms are pretty boring, just maple cabinets and granite, so I won’t bore you with them. I will give you glimpse into our bedroom though.

bedroom-summer

Again, I am working around the furniture provided, but I was able to bring this bamboo tray. I will be sharing a tutorial soon on how I made the tray table top. I just have a little tweaking to do to it yet.

summer-home-tour-10

I have some things in the works for this room and the boys’ room. I’ve come up with some ideas to infuse some pattern and color into these rooms so they aren’t so boring.

dinosaur

Right now, our latest “find” is the cast of a dinosaur track from the Dinosaur State Park right by our home. Yes, the boys are in heaven and want to go there every day!  It is the only interesting thing going on in their room…besides the TV. The company that runs the corporate housing put a TV in every bedroom without asking us first. It’s not awesome and guess what they want to do the minute they wake up every morning.

peephole

After the war of the TV is over, the next main attraction for everyone apparently is the peephole in our front door. This happens at least 3 times a day.

I do have to say though, that apartment living has its perks. We have a really nice pool and health club right on the property. I feel like they must have built the gym just for me because no one is ever in it. The pool is gorgeous and a nice place to spend our summer days.

So there’s a little peek at our summer rental. We are traveling again this weekend to Block Island which I hear is a place we must visit.

Be sure to check out all the great Summer Home Tours listed below to get your fix of house-snooping:

23 inspiring house tours by some amazingly talented bloggers!

As a fun bonus, some of these bloggers are going to be offering a giveaway on their site the day of their home tour so don’t forget to check out all the tours so you don’t miss anything exciting.

Monday

Finding Silver PenniesTown and Country LivingMigonis Home

Tuesday

Craftsberry BushThe Hankful HouseLife on Virginia StreetSo Much Better with Age

Wednesday

House by HoffEveryday EnchantingMaison de PaxWicks Nest

Thursday

My Creative Days | Ella ClaireThe Happy HousieRooms FOR RentThe Lily Pad Cottage

Friday

Bliss at HomeSouthern State of Mind | Designed Decor | The Woodgrain Cottage | 3 Little Greenwoods | Just A Girl and Her Blog | City Farmhouse

Thanks for visiting my East Coast rental today!! If you are new here and would like to see our Illinois home you can see our HOME TOUR.

74 Comments on Summer Home Tour | Welcome to Our East Coast Rental

1. Julia@Cuckoo4design
    June 20, 2014 at 5:57 am (4 months ago)

I can’t believe you’ve been there only 2 weeks. Oh wait yes I can. It looks fabulous!

June 20, 2014 at 6:45 am (4 months ago)

Thanks friend! Happy Weekend :)

2. dadriscoll
    June 20, 2014 at 6:32 am (4 months ago)

I know I can’t believe you’ve done so much in two weeks either. Looks incredible and so much your style. Loved your summer tour. x

June 20, 2014 at 6:46 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Danielle :) Excited to see you in a few weeks! xo Kristin

June 20, 2014 at 6:49 am (4 months ago)

you have done such a great job of making it a home! i love all the green touches!

June 20, 2014 at 7:01 am (4 months ago)

thanks Cassie :) Happy Weekend! xo Kristin

4. Sarah
    June 20, 2014 at 8:07 am (4 months ago)

Woman!! Two weeks into a rental and it looks more like a finished home than our house has after a year and a half! You are amazing. Love how everything has turned out!

June 20, 2014 at 8:11 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Sarah, you are so sweet! xo Kristin

• Jana Bek
      June 20, 2014 at 8:16 am (4 months ago)

Fabulous Kristin! I completely agree with Sarah, I’m just now now getting into properly decorating most of my rooms while you are rocking out a rental! fabulous & love that curtain DIY! XO jana

June 20, 2014 at 8:23 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Jana :) It came furnished so it is easier to just add in color and decor. I hate the bedrooms though and am going to take a cue from you and add in some pattern and color ;) Have a great weekend! xo Kristin

5. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life
    June 20, 2014 at 8:28 am (4 months ago)

I would never have thought to bring things from home. You’ve made this totally look like you. I love it and that bamboo tray is fabulous. Love, love, love that piece.

June 20, 2014 at 8:43 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Marty :) 3 months of a rental…I figuired it wouldn’t hurt to make it feel like home for everyone ;) xo Kristin

6. Pat
    June 20, 2014 at 9:19 am (4 months ago)

I’m one that is also amazed at what you’ve done in just 2 weeks! Do you ever sleep? :) I love all the touches and the tray is just awesome. Have to go read about the curtains as I’m in the midst of some DIY’s in that area too. My computer is on the blink so I’m in the business center…not sure how often I’ll be here but will try and catch up when I can.

xo
    Pat

June 20, 2014 at 9:22 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Pat :) Over the past year or so, I’ve learned how to work under pressure and deadlines so it just feels almost normal ;) Sorry to hear about your computer :( I hope it gets fixed for you soon! xo Kristin

7. Jen
    June 20, 2014 at 9:23 am (4 months ago)

Beautiful Kristin! Have a great time this summer! Enjoy the EC!!! jen

June 20, 2014 at 9:25 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Jen! I love it here :) xo Kristin

8. DeDe@ Designed Decor
    June 20, 2014 at 9:25 am (4 months ago)

I love your style and it certainly does not have an apartment feel!

June 20, 2014 at 10:21 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much DeDe :) It is different living in an apt. for the next few months but a fun little departure fromt the ordinary. xo Kristin

9. Katja | Shift Ctrl Art
    June 20, 2014 at 9:42 am (4 months ago)

Kristen what a fabulous home you have been able to create in such a short time. And it screams YOU! You definitely have the signature style part down. I would walk in and immediately say: Here lives Kristen! I love those curtains that you made and the tray table is awesome. You really created such an awesome space. Love it!!

June 20, 2014 at 10:19 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much sweet friend! I think it’s taken years to cultivate a personal style I love and that feels “me”…it’s ever evolving and changing so it’s kind of fun to have a new canvas to play with. Have a fab weekend! xo Kristin

10. Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog
    June 20, 2014 at 9:50 am (4 months ago)

Girl! You really know how to make the most of a rental! It looks great! And what a fun summer adventure you’re on! It has been wonderful to be on “tour” with you this week! Enjoy Block Island!

~Abby =)

June 20, 2014 at 10:13 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Abby :) It’s been so fun to see everyone’s take on a summer home! xo Kristin

11. katie
    June 20, 2014 at 10:02 am (4 months ago)

Yes, amazing progress in just a couple of weeks! Love the curtains, art…and those patio chairs!! What a neat opportunity :)

June 20, 2014 at 10:12 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Katie :) There is so much to see and do so close by, such a fun summer! xo Kristin

12. Lo (a LO and behold life)
    June 20, 2014 at 10:11 am (4 months ago)

The place looks great! You and the fam are sure to have an amazing East Coast summer!
    xo,
    Lo

June 20, 2014 at 10:22 am (4 months ago)

Thanks Lo :) I already love it out here! Wish I lived here ;)

June 22, 2014 at 10:30 pm (4 months ago)

thanks Krystine :) xo Kristin

13. April Hoff
    June 20, 2014 at 12:29 pm (4 months ago)

Everything looks completely finished to me, Kristin! I can’t believe that you’ve only been there for two weeks! Have a great summer and enjoy this cool opportunity!

June 22, 2014 at 10:30 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much April :) xo Kristin

14. Lindsay
    June 20, 2014 at 12:51 pm (4 months ago)

Found my way here from the link-up and now am a huge fan of your blog. WOW! I cannot believe you have only been there for a 2 weeks, it looks fantastic. Also I am obsessed with your planner (the gold and white stripes – I think that it’s a planner!) and was wondering where you got it. Looking forward to following along, and adding you to my BlogLovin’!

June 22, 2014 at 10:29 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Lindsay :) It is a planner I picked up from Target that has a clear cover. I added the gold and white paper to it, it’s wrapping paper. Thanks so much for reading! xo Kristin

15. Patty Lucas
    June 20, 2014 at 12:59 pm (4 months ago)

If you are near the dinosaur park, you can’t be too far from New Haven. Bring your boys to the Peabody Museum because they have a lot of dinosaur things there also. You can also go around Yale Univ.

June 22, 2014 at 10:28 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks Patty :) We heard about that museum and will have to plan a visit. xo Kristin

16. Beth of design POST interiors
    June 20, 2014 at 3:05 pm (4 months ago)

Um, and why exactly were you nervous to share?? It looks awesome already! Sometimes I really miss living in an apartment!

June 22, 2014 at 10:27 pm (4 months ago)

It is a nice departure from having to maintain a lawn and landscaping all summer long ;) Feels like a vacation every day! xo Kristin

17. anu
    June 20, 2014 at 8:11 pm (4 months ago)

Love that you are making the rental your own. Everything looks great!

June 22, 2014 at 10:24 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Anu :)

18. My Creative Days
    June 20, 2014 at 9:26 pm (4 months ago)

Looks like a great place to spend the summer months!

June 22, 2014 at 10:22 pm (4 months ago)

It really is, such a fun summer :) xo Kristin

19. Amber from WillsCasa.Com
    June 20, 2014 at 9:29 pm (4 months ago)

Wow!! You’ve made it look beautiful already!! Did you pack some of your decor to bring there?

June 22, 2014 at 10:22 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks Amber :) We sure did, pretty much everything decor wise you see is from our home :)

20. Brandi
    June 20, 2014 at 9:31 pm (4 months ago)

Wow Kristin, you’ve done so much to your summer place to make it feel like home for you and your family. Hope you guys have fun exploring your new city!

June 22, 2014 at 10:21 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks Brandi :) We had another fun weekend in Boston :) Love that city! xo Kristin

21. Mimosa Lane (@MimosaLane)
    June 21, 2014 at 8:50 am (4 months ago)

I can’t believe how amazing you have made this place! it’s like a real home. The corporate housing office will want you do decorate all the apartment sin the complex! Loving your outdoor chairs….I can spot a DIY there!

June 22, 2014 at 10:20 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Albertina :) I am resisting doing too much to it, but the bedrooms are in some desperate need of some pattern and color ;) And you spotted that DIY for sure! I am going to share the chairs tomorrow :) xo Kristin

22. Pam @ Simple Details
    June 21, 2014 at 10:19 am (4 months ago)

It’s perfect, Kristen! I love that even though it’s only a few months you’ve made it a special place – it truly will make your East Coast adventure that much nicer!

June 22, 2014 at 10:19 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks Pam :) The boys said it feels homey, so I think it’s mission accomplished ;) xo Kristin

23. Bethany @ Dwellings By DeVore
    June 21, 2014 at 1:48 pm (4 months ago)

I love all the special touches you’ve added. I can’t believe you’ve only been there two weeks and it already looks so homey! That office chair is such a great find and I agree that the base is screaming to be gold!

June 22, 2014 at 10:18 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Bethany :) I just need to figuire out how I want to make it gold…decisions, decisions…xo Kristin

24. Jennifer @ Brave New Home
    June 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm (4 months ago)

This is such a neat experience! I love your approach to it—seeing it as an adventure and an opportunity. And yes, take the green chair home with you!

June 22, 2014 at 10:17 pm (4 months ago)

I’m pinching myself that we get to spend 3 months seeing different cities and states up here. It is so fun! Definitely will be a memorable summer for the boys too :) xo Kristin

25. kristy
    June 22, 2014 at 12:34 am (4 months ago)

Kristin, your home is beautiful and I can’t believe you moved in just 2 weeks ago! You’ve done an amazing job and your taste is impeccable. Thanks so much for sharing and I’m thrilled I was able to be a part of this Tour with you and the other girls. :) Hugs and I hope you’re having a wonderful weekend with your adorable family! (the pic with your son and little one is the cutest ever!)

June 22, 2014 at 10:16 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Kristy :) It’s already been a fun time out here. I just love the East Coast! xo Kristin

26. Lisa @ Shine Your Light
    June 22, 2014 at 7:56 am (4 months ago)

Kristin, it’s absolutely amazing that you’ve only been there 2 short weeks and were away for part of it. You are incredible!! I love your fun and sophisticated style. You’ve totally brought that apartment to life and given it some of your personality. I love your attitude toward living there for a short time and I’m sure you are going to have some great adventures with your family while you’re here!!!

June 22, 2014 at 10:15 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Lisa :) Boston was so great!! I can’t wait to visit again. I just loved Charles St. and the Beacon Hill neighborhood! Gorgeousness everywhere! xo Kristin

27. Jennifer @ Town and Country Living
    June 22, 2014 at 8:24 am (4 months ago)

What a great opportunity to spend the entire summer on the east coast!! I’m so jealous. :) You’ve done an amazing job fixing up your rental in such a short amount of time. Wow! Hope you have a truly enjoyable summer experience!!

June 22, 2014 at 10:13 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Jennifer, I love it out here :) xo Kristin

28. Krista thehappyhousie
    June 22, 2014 at 11:24 pm (4 months ago)

So stunning – I love all the graphic patterns and mix of color and pattern and your beautiful gallery wall. Beautiful! So glad to be on this tour series with you!!
    ~Krista

June 23, 2014 at 6:57 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Krista :) xo Kristin

29. Carrie @DreamGreenDIY
    June 23, 2014 at 10:37 am (4 months ago)

Seriously!? Two weeks?!! Girl, you are such a pro…It’s beautiful!

June 23, 2014 at 7:16 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much sweet friend :) xo Kristin

30. angela
    June 24, 2014 at 7:31 am (4 months ago)

I seriously cannot believe how much you’ve done in such a short amount of time. It looks fab! Have a great summer!!!!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

June 25, 2014 at 6:46 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Angela :) xo Kristin

31. the makerista
    June 24, 2014 at 8:46 am (4 months ago)

Love your little office area!

June 25, 2014 at 6:46 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks Gwen! xoxo K

32. Lindsay
    June 25, 2014 at 2:32 pm (4 months ago)

I can’t believe what you’ve accomplished is such a short time in this gorgeous rental!

June 25, 2014 at 6:49 pm (4 months ago)

Thanks Lindsay :) It feels like a bit of home :)

33. Jen @ Migonis Home
    June 30, 2014 at 2:30 pm (4 months ago)

How is it that you’ve been there for about 10 seconds? It looks incredible! :)

July 1, 2014 at 9:32 am (4 months ago)

Thanks Jen :) I brought a lot from home so it wouldn’t feel bland around here :)

34. sherry hart
    July 2, 2014 at 7:07 am (4 months ago)

You managed to rock that rental pretty hard Kristin! Amazing!

July 2, 2014 at 8:36 am (4 months ago)

Thanks so much Sherry :) xo Kristin

July 7, 2014 at 10:28 am (4 months ago)

Thanks Kenz :)