Table Makeover with Fabric and Nailhead

Howdy! Sorry I had to be a tease yesterday. I didn’t have great light for photos at 8pm at night. So, here’s all the details on my table makeover.

diy-fabric-and-nailhead-table

As you saw yesterday it started like this:

before-table-makeover

before-and-after-table

This was a table we inherited in the basement of our first house. It is just a homemade work table. Nothing special at all…except that it was FREE. My favorite kind of furniture! Besides it not being that eye-catching, it was in good shape. I could see the makings of a console table. I have been wanting one for our dining area, but being a major penny-pincher, I didn’t want to spend the bucks right now.

I was able to do this entire transformation for $20. All I had to buy was the fabric and the nailhead trim. I went to the fabric store and found a yard and a half of fabric on the sale table. Plenty for this project. They also had the nailhead  30 percent off and I had a $5 off coupon. I ended up getting it all for $20! Usually just the nailhead roll is that much.

I decided to try this method I saw over at Sarah Dorsey Designs. You coat your table with water-based polycrylic and iron your fabric on. You can get full details in the link at Sarah’s site.

Before I could begin though, I needed to make the table the right size for the space. I cut part of the back off so it wasn’t so deep and reattached the legs. Actually, we all did that. Dave and the kids all helped me. My kids always want to help with our projects. It’s so cute to see them get excited to help out!

You may have seen this on Instagram:

safety-first

I wanted it to have solid sides instead of legs so we also added some scrap wood. This is the great thing about DIY–you start to have left over materials! We had the perfect wood left over from our Ikea BILLY hack for the sides. Under the front of the table top we just added a 2×4. After filling in some divits with wood fill we were ready to roll!

apply-fabric-to wood-with-polycrylic

I had the water-based polycrylic on hand from some furniture makeovers. Again, the nice thing about a DIY lifestyle. This iron-on method worked like a charm. I took Sarah’s advice and starched my fabric before hand. I chose not to coat the outside because I really liked the nubby texture of the fabric.

table-styling

I had never used the nailhead trim on a roll before. This was so much easier!! Great for projects that you want to use a lot of nailhead accents. This whole makeover only took a few hours.

I am really happy with the finished project. It’s even better knowing what the before looked like! Now I’m wondering what else is going to get covered with fabric around here…

DIY-fabric-covered-table

nailhead-trim

console-table-in-dining-room

dining-room-gray-white

This space is very much unfinished, as you can see, but by just adding this table I already like it better. Now I feel like getting the rest of it done!

before-and-after-table Table Makeover with Fabric and Nailhead

Table Makeover wtih Fabric and Nailhead

Linking to: Give Me the Goods Monday, Inspire Me Please Linky Party, The Inspiration Gallery, Share Your Creativity, That DIY Party, Thrifty Decor Chick Before & After Party

Comments

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks, Selma :) I am now doing that too with the rest of the untouched furniture in this house! xo Kristin

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Janet :) I got the fabric at Hancock on their clearance table. It was just a scrap so I don’t have any other details. It is an gray basket weave upholstery fabric. xo Kristin

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Jennifer :) I am really happy with how the fabric adhered to the table. Definitely worth trying out! xo Kristin

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks so much Sarah :) I was anxious to try this method after I saw one of your pins on Pinterest :) xo Kristin

1. says

Absolutely brilliant! So glam and the burlap (?) fabric adds the organic touch. I’d love to do this project on bed headboard. K, you’d make so much money on your own boutique, selling your talented touches to others or hosting remodel parties. :-)

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks! I love trying to spend least amount of money possible on my projects without compromising style or quality :) xo Kristin

2. says

Kristin, it looks aMAZing!!! OMG I remember seeing the Sarah Dorsey Designs and drooling over it and filing it away in my brain to do some day and here you went and rocked it! Loving the fabric and nailhead trim!

3. says

Kristin, it turned out so beautiful! What a great idea to turned something used for a garage or basement into a fab console in your dining room! LOVE!

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks so much Kayla :) I love that something that has been completely overlooked for years can become a gorgeous useful piece again! xo Kristin

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Serena :) I think we’ve become such a throw away society, I try to redo as many things as I can. xo K

4. says

Love it! And it’s so funny, now that I’m getting into the DIY mentality and am now seeing something I like and instead of thinking ‘that’s too much’ thinking ‘how can I make one’. I was at pier one the other week and saw this EXACT style piece of furniture, but it was a chest of drawers. Covered in fabric with the thumbtack trim (as I call it). On close inspection I realized it was just thumb tacks that made such as impressive touch. And they are so cheap. And then I look at your blog and you’ve done the whole rest of the project, attaching the fabric and all, and all the dirty work and explained it for me, so thank you! I will hopefully be trying it soon. And what a coincidence after just seeing it at pier 1. You should check it out if you haven’t! This must be the style right now.

• BLISS AT HOME says

I know that dresser at Pier 1 😉 I saw that a few months back and thought that could easily be DIY’d for way less. I like to see what’s trending, but I just go to the beat of my own drum. Sometimes it’s in, sometimes it’s not. I say do what you love and make your home say YOU :) xo Kristin

5. says

I love the texture of the fabric and the character of the nail head trim! I’d never heard of the method you used to apply the fabric. Sounds like a great tip! Way to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear! :)

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Jennifer :) When I was researching different ways to attach the fabric I pinned that poly method and it just happened to be Sarah Dorsey’s :) Then I discovered a whole bunch of them that were based off of a Martha Stewart demo. Who knew, right? Happy Weekend!! xo Kristin

• BLISS AT HOME says

Hi Stephanie :) Honestly, it was my first time working with the nailhead on a roll. I had to bend it a little to keep it straight. I think the next time I use it I might chalk a line or something, but I just eyeballed it this time. I liked it so much better than doing each individual nail. So quick! xo Kristin

6. says

VERY cool idea! I have a hideous 1970s chaise lounge that I need to recover. Would you recommend reupholstering, or doing a slipcover? Keep in mind I have a somewhat destructive and very fuzzy kitten :)

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks! I think that really depends on how you use it and the look you want. Totally a personal choice :) xoxo

• says

any recommendations for a hardy fabric? It occurred to me, since I think I want a damask, that I could purchase curtains, since they’re washable…?

• BLISS AT HOME says

Sunbrella or other outdoor fabric would be great for durability And cleaning…

Trackbacks