West Elm Hack

Inspired Design Challenge

Today we are sharing our projects for Week 3 of the Inspired Design Challenge. West Elm was our inspiration for the week and I am excited to reveal our latest DIY!

West Elm Hack Art

As you know, we are collecting items for our very first gallery wall in our home. I really want this wall to speak to who we are as a family. I’ve been printing photos, collecting art, making things, and this August we will be revealing our gallery wall.

I have loved this West Elm Abstract Art Collection since the first time I saw it:

west elm inspiration I wanted one feature piece on our wall since a lot of the other items are smaller. When I saw these, I knew this was something that me and the boys could make together.

DIY canvas supplies

This project cost us less than $15 which I love because the West Elm version was a lot more than I was willing to pay.

To build the canvas:

• A canvas drop cloth (I got mine at Lowes) Super inexpensive!

• wood for frame from the Lumber Dept. 12 ft for a 3 x 2 1/2 foot frame

• wood screws and drill

• staple gun and staples

There are several ways to build a frame for your canvas, from trial and error we have learned to add corner pieces to ensure a sturdy and level frame.

My boys were excited to paint with me. We took it outdoors since the weather has been absolutley gorgeous!

Kids painting

We just used the art and craft paint we already had on hand. We didn’t use any fancy brushes, just basic craft brushes. I made the first brush stroke and we took turns painting line after line.

kids painting 2

Once we got our black brush strokes painted, we followed with white brush strokes, filling in and blending all the gaps.

DIY Brush Stroke art

I am still recovering from being sick all week, but this was a fun low-key activity that I could do with the kids. I love that we made this together and that it will be the key piece to our gallery wall.

DIY Black and white art

I think we did pretty darn good! I haven’t decided on how I want to frame it yet. My first instinct is gold, but I may change my mind.

Black and white abstract

I really love the contrast and texture. Layering the paint worked really well. I showed the boys the inspiration image and they felt like professional little artists. They were so proud. A nice little memory for us to share and I love that we all worked together to create it.

West Elm Hack

Are you ready to see the rest of the Week 3 projects?

west elm inspiration board

1. Jennifer from Brave New Home

2. Lindsay from Life of Splendor

3. Angie from Angie’s Roost

4. Sara from Embrace My Space

Next week is Anthropologie! Always a great source for inspiration!

Linking to: Give Me the Goods Monday, Tip & Tricks Tutorial Party

45 Comments on West Elm Hack

1. Julia @cuckoo4design
    July 29, 2013 at 6:26 am (1 year ago)

It’s beyond awesome Kristin! I love how large it is and I agree with you about the gold. I think that would be perfect!
    It really looks gorgeous!

July 29, 2013 at 7:13 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Julia :) Dave was joking that we could use their child labor and mass produce this and make some dough. Funny, that Dave! xo Kristin

2. Lindsay at Life of Splendor
    July 29, 2013 at 6:56 am (1 year ago)

I adore how it turned out!!! It looks just as good as the original and how special for it to be something you boys could create. Love it!

July 29, 2013 at 7:14 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Lindsay :) They were the cutest. I love seeing their little personalities. Bman is so intentional with every brush stroke and Sam is just crazy making lines everywhere! xo Kristin

July 29, 2013 at 7:36 am (1 year ago)

oh my gosh i totally love it!!!!! and love involving the kids!

July 29, 2013 at 7:53 am (1 year ago)

Thanks BB :) Kid art is the best art :) xo Kristin

4. Sarah
    July 29, 2013 at 8:23 am (1 year ago)

I think this looks better than the inspiration! And so much more meaningful since you got the boys to help. Hope you’re feeling better.
    (Are you still recovering from the migraine? Some unsolicited, but maybe it will help you so I’m going to share it anyways advice. My doctor recommended taking an anti-nausea pill when I got a migraine, not for nausea (although I’m sure it will help if you feel icky) but because studies have shown that it reduces the length of a migraine. I have a prescription for the modern non-drowsy kind, but I believe any kind (dramamine, benadryl) will do the trick.)

July 29, 2013 at 9:05 am (1 year ago)

Thanks for the advice Sara :) xo Kristin

5. Tiina
    July 29, 2013 at 10:57 am (1 year ago)

What a great project! I love how it turned out, and love that your boys took the reigns to make it a more personalized piece. So much fun! And I agree with you, a gold frame would be a great paring to the black and white. Can’t wait to see how you finish it off!

Tiina

July 29, 2013 at 11:22 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much Tiina :) They are the cutest little artists! xo Kristin

6. Jennifer @ Brave New Home
    July 29, 2013 at 11:25 am (1 year ago)

This is amazing! You picked a great size and your sons did great! What a sweet painting (gorgeous, too!).

July 29, 2013 at 11:56 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Jennifer :) xo Kristin

7. Sarah M. Dorsey
    July 29, 2013 at 12:07 pm (1 year ago)

fabulous!! I’ve been considering something similar, I’ll be sure to link to yours if I do it! :)

July 30, 2013 at 8:43 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much Sarah :) xo Kristin

8. Jesse @ Scout & Nimble
    July 29, 2013 at 12:11 pm (1 year ago)

I love your version!!! And the fact that the boys helped is so cool and fun! ;)

July 30, 2013 at 8:43 am (1 year ago)

Thanks J :) Can’t wait to see you Thursday!!!!! xo Kristin

July 30, 2013 at 8:44 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much Caitlin :) I saw that you have it when I saw your bookcases. Just love it! xo Kristin

July 29, 2013 at 1:40 pm (1 year ago)

It’s beautiful Kristin and your boys did a great job too! :-) I love it and these would look great in my living room too ;-) framing them in gold would look beautiful, even in black! :-)

July 30, 2013 at 8:45 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much Ingrid :) I was thinking maybe black too. I’m waiting to see what the other frames are going to be before I make a final decision. xo Kristin

10. jlhoneyman
    July 29, 2013 at 2:13 pm (1 year ago)

I love that your boys helped you with this…they must be thrilled to have helped with artwork that will be hanging the entry!

July 30, 2013 at 8:45 am (1 year ago)

They are going to be the stars of this gallery wall :) xo Kristin

11. Pam @ Simple Details
    July 29, 2013 at 3:19 pm (1 year ago)

Looks like your talent for diys runs in the family! :) The size will be awesome!

July 30, 2013 at 8:46 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much Pam :) That’s what I love about making your own canvas. Totally customized to the size you need. xo Kristin

12. Brandi
    July 29, 2013 at 10:23 pm (1 year ago)

I love that you got your boys involved! I bet they feel really proud of their masterpiece!!

July 30, 2013 at 8:46 am (1 year ago)

They had a blast :) They love that a lot of the wall is going to be their art. xo Kristin

13. Jennifer @ Dimples & Tangles
    July 30, 2013 at 9:56 am (1 year ago)

I love it! You all did a great job! Those abstracts are not as easy as they look. I would almost consider leaving it unframed…maybe just painting the edge of the canvas gold or even a bright pop of color…bright coral? Just a thought!

July 30, 2013 at 10:51 am (1 year ago)

Get out of my head! LOL, I was considering just painting the edge…I like your coral idea!! Thanks for that! xo Kristin

14. Sara @ Embrace My Space
    July 30, 2013 at 3:27 pm (1 year ago)

I love how it turned out! It’s a great size and so cool you did it with your boys!

July 30, 2013 at 3:44 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Sara :) xo Kristin

15. Katrina
    July 30, 2013 at 4:14 pm (1 year ago)

What a nie art project!! I really love how it turned out, I thinking framing it in natural or stained wood, would look nice!

July 31, 2013 at 6:39 am (12 months ago)

Thanks Katrina :) That would look nice! Great idea! xo Kristin

16. craftivitydesigns
    July 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm (1 year ago)

What a great hack — and so much impact! Love how big it is. Just came across this series — heading off now to see more :)

July 31, 2013 at 6:41 am (12 months ago)

Thanks so much :) This is such a fun series and these girls have some serious DIY skills! xo Kristin

17. Sherry Hart
    July 30, 2013 at 5:13 pm (1 year ago)

Speechless! I have loved that painting!

July 31, 2013 at 6:42 am (12 months ago)

Thanks so much Sherry :) I have been eyeing it for awhile and am so happy with how our little DIY turned out. xo Kristin

18. Shannon
    July 30, 2013 at 11:18 pm (1 year ago)

It looks awesome! And how sweet that you did it with your boys. I did a pair of these West Elm knock offs a few weeks ago and I love them!

July 31, 2013 at 6:43 am (12 months ago)

Thanks so much Shannon :) It was a fun project and now a beautiful memory. Love your blog, thanks for stopping by! xo Kristin

19. Katie@mydiyhabits.com
    July 31, 2013 at 9:40 am (12 months ago)

This looks great and I love that you made your own canvas! For a large art piece like that it is such a great way to save! Nice work!
    -katie@mydiyhabits

August 1, 2013 at 11:16 am (12 months ago)

Thanks so much Katie :) xo Kristin

5Pingbacks & Trackbacks on West Elm Hack

1. [...] With the help of her boys, Kristin created her own West Elm-inspired abstract art. [...]

2. […] And last but certainly not least, Kristin from Bliss At Home.  I always drool over Kristin’s house projects…every…single…one.  She has one of those fearless styles where she can mix materials seamlessly and make it look so effortlessly put together.  AND she uses gold like a champ!  Seriously, Kristin can you teach my how to style spaces?  Vignettes?  Maybe just a nightstand or two?  I need help!  My favorite project of Kristin’s was the West Elm inspired DIY artwork. […]

3. […] DIY B + W Abstract Art (West Elm Hack) […]