DIY Chandelier with Shade MacGyver Style

The foyer makeover is coming along. That stenciled wall got me eager to start working on the rest! I decided to work on the ceiling fixture next. This was a really easy project…or so I thought. We’ll get into that soon.

I chose to use the existing fixture as my foundation instead of buying another one. I am challenging myself to do this entire foyer revamp for $100 or less.  Can I do it? We shall see…

DIY chandelier with shade

Today, I’m going to show you  how I took this fixture:

entry way light fixture

and turned it into this:

DIY drum shade light

And I did it for $20.

Here’s how.

First, I removed the old glass from the existing fixture. I looked in my store-room for supplies that I already had on hand. I always shop my house first to see if I can reuse something. I had some chandelier crystals from a broken votive light and decided to use those first. I have a gorgeous shaded chandelier in our bedroom so I thought I’d try my hand at making my own for the foyer.

The brass on the existing fixture actually works so I left it. Then, I headed off to find the rest of the details. I found a large white  lamp shade on sale at Target and some greek key trimming on sale at Hobby Lobby. I really wanted to stick to a black and white color scheme. The trim adds some pattern and also makes the shade stand out against the white walls.

sale items for light fixture

Are you wondering how I attached the shade to the fixture? Well, I’m going to tell ya! I had a mishap. I accidentally broke one of the spokes off the lamp shade.

Oops…I guess I need to figure out another way to attach it to the light???

Minor baby hiccup.

I had no idea!

Honestly, for a couple of hours I was stumped.

Then, I had several options pop into my head at once. I asked Dave for a second opinion.

I took the existing spokes out of the shade. Then, with a little trip to the hardware store Dave and I got creative and came up with a plan.

We measured the diameter of the shade and purchased these yard sign stakes and fittings for a couple bucks. We wanted to make a telescoping base so we could easily take the shade down for cleaning or light bulb changing.

yard sale stakes

I am pretty convinced you can fab anything with a little creativity and a trip to the hardware store! This hardware here allows for the metal rods to slide back and forth and stop and lock at your desired length. Perfect for what we needed!

Ferrule & Stop

We broke off the center pieces from the yard sign stakes so we had four long rods and glued our ferrule and stops in place.

telescoping rod

Lamp Base

If you are going to try to add a shade to a light, I would stress for you not to break the shade before you install it, and forego all this, but we had to come up with something.

For future reference, if you are ever in a lamp shade bind, super glue, yard sign stakes, and ferrule and stop can save the day!

I have to say we flexed our MacGyver skills and that was pretty awesome!

We salute you, Richard Dean Anderson, and your glorious mullet!

So I give you our fixed and installed light shade. Ta-da!

DIY foyer light

DIY drum shade light 2

drum pendant

Chandelier in entry way

So, for just $20 you can turn an existing fixture into a drum shade light.

FYI- I had these chandelier crystals on hand but you can order them very inexpensively online if you want to glam up your fixture.

We are still on course to do the foyer makeover for under $100 or less. Here’s what’s left to tackle:

Foyer Plans

Paint & stencil wall

Remove & replace baseboards and door trim

Paint terrazzo floor

Patch ceiling

Paint brick

Replace light fixture

Replace outlets & covers

Replace door or paint door

Tomorrow I’ll be announcing the winner of the Royal Design Studio Giveaway and announcing a new series with some very talented bloggers!

linking up here:

Give Me the Goods MondayWow Us Wednesdays

TDC Before & After Party

Tutorials and Tips Link Party

Inspire Me Please Blog Hop, Inspiration Gallery Link Party

Frugalicious Friday

Thrifty Decor Chick Before & After Party

1. says

I can’t believe you were able to pull this off~ I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing in my foyer, from using the existing fixture…to using a drum shade to cover~ still not sure how I’m going to do it…might just buy the shade and try to “MacGyver-it” also! :) *too funny!

2. says

Gorgeous!!! MacGyver tactics and all! I love that you are working with what you got…totally inspiring! I would call the oops I broke the spoke a ‘Dale’ moment in my house…that kind of stuff happens to me all.the.time. 😉

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Julia(aka beach bum) So jealous of your beach trip! :) I was so on the fence what to do with it. I wanted to do a cool hexagon or something really geometric but the light is so blinding it needed a shade…and this was way cheaper to execute. xo Kristin

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Jennifer :)YAY for Hobby Lobby! I just love it! My infatuation with Greek Key isn’t over yet 😉 xo Kristin

3. says

Oh Em Gee!!! I am again impressed, awed and in love with your work. Creative, smart and gorge. I’m glad I know you and I’m dying to see the place in real life soon. A

4. says

Came across your chandelier shade via Thrifty Decor Chick. Love it! It came out so good! Also love your black and white geometric wall. Lovely home you have!

5. says

You are so clever. Love the look of the jewels, too. And I’m thinking I may need to try a similar fix for one of my broken lampshades. I can’t find a replacement and one of the metal brackets is busted.

6. says

Loving this post! Came out lovely! I would like to do something like this in my apartment dining area on the cheap & nonpermanent

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks so much Amber. I hate when you have hiccups doing a project, but we got it to work 😉 xo Kristin

7. says

I always loved your work. I think it’s so glam yet classy. When I finally buy a house I’m going to start using your major DIY’s as inspiration! I already did one of your DIY’s when you made the beautiful Emerald green box. (I use it for my rings)

8. BJ says

I was so taken with your work as published in HGTV Magazine’s January/February issue that I immediately subscribed to your blog and began reviewing your other projects. In doing so, I happened on the foyer light transformation. My question is this: How would you have attached the shade had you not had the mishap (i.e., how do you do this if the shade is not broken)?

On another project, you beautifully transformed a wall light to a sconce (using new shades and napkin rings). I have similar wall lights (never taken out of the original packing) except mine are swing-arm lamps. Do you think I could transform those in the same way you did and, if not, any suggestions on how to make them better (other than new shades of course)?

Great blog! Thank you for the inspiration and for any assistance you can offer on the above questions.

• BLISS AT HOME says

Hi BJ :) thanks so much! that was a fun collab. the original plan for the light in our entry was to use the shade as intended…when I accidentally broke it I flipped it upside down and came up with the stops idea. For your lights…it’s hard to say without seeing them and knowing the dimensions but I would just measure the diameter of the socket and make sure your napkin rings are wide enough. xoxo

1. […] Howdy! This weekend besides channeling my innner MacGyver, I tackled those projects that have been sitting on the list for a little too long. I also want to thank you for all your kind words about our little DIY chandelier. […]