IKEA BILLY Bookcase Library Wall >>> SOURCE LIST

IKEA BILLY bookcase library wall feature

Today we wanted to share our sources and costs with you guys. We love to find inexpensive alternatives for our DIY projects. I hope you have enjoyed this series and we will try to cover as much as we can.

Frame for header

Building the Library Wall >>> Source List

(4 ) BILLY bookcases purchased at IKEA ($59.99 each) $260.43

3/4″ Top Choice Birch Hardwood from Lowes $53.70

2×4’s (already had) no cost

Screws (1lb. box is more than you need but we wanted them for other projects) , anchors, brackets, spring roller catches purchased at Lowes $37.49

Liquid Nail from Lowes $5

(2) 8ft. long baseboards purchased at Lowes $32

Crown molding purchased at Menards $15.85

Fast’N Final Lightweight Spackling purchased at Lowes $6.73

Valspar Paint and Primer Semi-gloss (color off the shelf white) purchased at Lowes $17.34

Total cost including tax = $428.54

Picture Lights

Library Lights on Remote >>> Source List

(4) Brass Picture Lights from www.lightingemporium.com ($13.49 each + shipping) $62.91

Surge Protector on Remote from Lowes $19.50

Extension cord from Lowes $7

Total cost including tax= $89.41

Wiring sound system

Hidden Speakers >>> Source List

16 Gauge mini-spool of Monster speaker wires from Best Buy $21.49

Insignia 2-way Indoor/Outdoor Speakers from Best Buy $42.99

Total cost including tax= $64.48

If you would like to see all the posts on our library wall this past week check out these links:

THE REVEAL>>>Before & After shots of our project

MUSIC >>> How we added hidden speakers & a sound system

LIGHTS >>> How we added brass picture lights & put them on a remote

TRIM >>> How we made our bookcases look built-in

STYLING >>> 7 Tips for styling bookcases

After LIbrary Wall

That was such a fun way to kick off Let’s Rock This House! Our next project for this series is Pimp My Patio. We have just started on this one, and will be giving some behind the scenes sneak peeks on Instagram #rockthishouse

xoxo Kristin

Connect with Bliss at Home:

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Instagram

Comments

1. says

I’m grateful for all of the hard and time consuming work you have put in to write this series. Thanks so much. I’ll be sure to keep you posted as to when I get my own built ins completed.

• BLISS AT HOME says

The lights and sound were so inexpensive. The wall was the majority of our cost, but compared to hiring it out or buying all the materials at the store we saved a lot :) All the wood alone would of put us over budget so the BILLYs were a great alternative. xo Kristin

• Robert Whiteley says

Hi Kristen. We are trying to create your bookshelves, and we are having trouble finding the lights you used. Can you tell us the product info?

Thanks

• BLISS AT HOME says

Hi Robert, Unfortunately they no longer carry them. You can search brass 14 inch picture lights on google and that should pull up a similar product. Good luck on your bookshelves, we just love ours! best, Kristin

• BLISS AT HOME says

Thanks Ingrid :) IKEA is such a great resource for things like this when you are working on a small budget :) xo Kristin

2. says

Seriously Kristin this is one amazing billy hack! I love it. Everything you’ve done has made them look so custom. You would never know they are from ikea. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You Rock!

3. Suzanne says

Love your billy bookcase and we have done one very similar except with glass doors on one case for display. I cannot locate the picture lights for $13.00 on the lighting emporium. I want them in brushed nickel, do you have a part number?

• BLISS AT HOME says

Hi Suzanne :) I don’t have the part number. The link in the post links to the ones I ordered. That was back in the summer. Hope you can find something that works. xo Kristin

4. says

I am wondering how you attached the in-between panels of plywood to the bookshelves. I am paranoid that the stuff Ikea makes their products out of is just hollow stuff that will split if I nail anything into it. Did you use a nail gun, screws…what?

• BLISS AT HOME says

Hi Andrea, I used roller ball hinges. You can get them in the hardware aisle at any home improvement store. xo Kristin

• Trey says

This looks fantastic and I’m using some of your ideas on my own project. Once your panels are closed, do you have a lip on them to pull them open again or do you have a “push to open” latch on them? How do you keep it looking flush without having a gap yet still have enough space for it to open on the hinge without scraping the cabinet?

• Jenn says

I can’t find “roller ball hinges” anywhere, even in an online search -and I can’t find them in your pictures. Is there any chance they’re ball hinges or roller ball catches? Thanks!

• BLISS AT HOME says

Hi Jenn, yes, those are the same thing. Sometimes the name on the packaging varies. You should be able to get them at any hardware store. xo

5. Yolanda Nash says

I seen and read in Better Home&Garden in August I have alway wanted a wall of books cases now I know how to do won’t be in a house of my own for while with my mother . Just hope this inform still available when I need thank
    U all did a great job

6. Mandy says

Hello! We absolutely love your design for your library wall! We just had a quick question about the BILLY bookshelves. There are a couple BILLY shelves on Ikea’s website, do you remember the dimensions of the ones you purchased? The ones that are currently priced at $59.99 look considerably smaller than the ones you used. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for posting this project!

7. Heather Thaxton says

Do you happen to have the specific white color paint you used from lowes? Thank you so much for this post!

• BLISS AT HOME says

It was matched at the counter. You can just take a chip from the bookcases and have any paint center tint to match the color. xo