You wouldn’t pimp your car and not add custom trim. I drive a mommy bus, I mean a Chevy Traverse, but that’s neither here nor there. Think of this as the custom rims on your pimped out car.
Welcome to Day 4 of our IKEA BILLY bookcase library wall reveal. Here’s how we took 4 IKEA BILLY bookcases and turned them into a library wall. If you want some free entertainment you can see our trip to IKEA Mission Impossible style.
First things first. We removed the old baseboard from the wall. Slowly but surely, I am de-oaking this house of its prior 1994 charm.
You see we had a little helper there. He’s really happy about it! I love that our kids embrace our projects. I don’t think they know any different!
Next, we assembled the 4 bookcases and spaced them evenly along the wall.
Then, we cut out the place where our outlets are so we have access to them. After that, we anchored the bookcases to the wall. Dave went all Tool-Time Tim and had to go get other anchors because he didn’t approve of the ones that came with the bookcases. ARRR-RAGHH!
Now it was time to build a frame to attach our header board. We used 2×4’s left over from another project and anchored a frame above the bookcases. The front of the header board we wanted to go over the bookcases a little so we made adjustments for that.
We also placed our speakers and ran the speaker wires before we continued.
We selected white birch to build our header board. We chose this because of its ultra smooth finish and it didn’t show much grain so it was ideal for painting. One 4’x8′ sheet of 3/4inch white birch was enough for the header and the panels to cover in-between the bookcases. Since really big cuts were involved, we took our measurements and had the super helpful people at Lowes make our cuts for us. This is a great alternative if you don’t have a table saw.
Once the header board was installed, we filled all the screw holes and seams with wood patch. From there it was pretty simple. We added our panel pieces to cover the spaces between the bookcases. We added trim to the top and bottom of the header board and baseboard along the bottom of the bookcases. Then we gave everything 3 coats of semi-gloss white paint.
We also took the time to fill all the shelve holes we weren’t using. We used DAP Fast’N Final Lightweight Spackling for that. It has a whip cream consistency and is really easy to work with. Also, if we ever want to change the shelves around this is easy to pop out.
A couple of days later we received our brass picture lights in the mail and were able to install them.
And that’s it. That’s our little story on how our library came to be.
If you don’t want to miss a thing you can check out these posts to see the details on other aspects of this project:
The big reveal Before & After pictures:
How we installed hidden speakers and the sound system:
How we installed the brass picture lights and put them on a remote control:
Tomorrow I am going to show the shelves up close and personal and share some bookcase styling tips and Saturday we will give a complete source list with prices.
Connect with Bliss at Home: