DIY No Sew Recovered Storage Cubes

DIY No Sew

I promise you, I wasn’t trying to come up with the longest title for this DIY, but it was Sunday night and Momma was TIRED. That’s the best I could come up with. If you have any better less wordy descriptive titles give me a shout and I’ll happily change it. The Project in Progress is rolling along. Here is a quick change anyone can do on some storage cubes. I started with some cheap storage cubes that we purchased awhile back for the toy room. They have seen better days. They have stains on them that won’t wash out no matter what cleaning product I use and the color isn’t working for me anymore.

DIY No Sew I thought they could serve a new purpose in our living room. I needed one for blog stuff and one for my little guy’s toys upstairs. I also wanted extra seating for the kids at our game table by the fireplace. They fit neatly under my desk and can easily be moved wherever we need them in the room. If I need to get on the computer during the day, my little guy has some toys close by so he can stay in the room with me.

This is so simple and just takes a quick trip to the fabric store. For the size of these cubes I purchased 2 yards of fabric and that was more than enough. I purchased 7 yards worth of trimming and had about a half a yard left over when I was done. This little quick change only cost me $15.

No Sew Supplies

I used:

2 yards of black canvas fabric

7 yards of thick white trimming

Staple gun & staples

1 package of HeatnBond

iron & ironing board

Fabri-tac

measuring tape

scissors

First I measured around each side of my cube base and added an extra inch. Then, I measured the height of the cube and added an extra 2 inches for stapling the top and bottom.

DIY No Sew After I measured out and cut my fabric, I ironed on my HeatnBond at the end of  the length cut. I just followed the instructions on the packaging, adjusting the heat of my iron since I was working with a thicker fabric. I made a straight even fold so that the end of my fabric would look neat and clean. I then started stapling my fabric to the bottom and inside top of my storage cube base, working around until I reached the end and my folded edge.

DIY No Sew I repeated this on my other cube and then made my cuts for the lids. I simply sat the lids on my fabric and added 2 1/2 inches around every side to staple underneath.

Now comes time for the trimming. I wanted clean lines on these and high contrast. I measured and cut my trim in 4 even lengths to go around the top and bottom of my cube bases. I started at the side of my folded fabric and dotted my Fabri-tac on one end of the trim. I slid the starting edge of my trim under the fold. Then I added Fabri-tac to under side of the fold and pressed it down. I worked around the cube and glued on the trim.

DIY No Sew

So easy, right? The finished product looks much more polished and fits in with the vibe of the room now.

DIY No Sew

Here’s the B&A:

B & A Storage Cubes They tuck away nicely under my desk when they are not being used…

DIY No Sew They serve as extra seating when we are entertaining…

DIY No Sew

They are convenient toy storage for playtime on the floor…

DIY No Sew

They are seating for the kids on family game night…

DIY No Sew

I love how these now serve so many uses in the same room. Much better than being forgotten about in the toy room. I feel like if this was Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer they would have been on the island of misfit toys or in my world misfit neglected furniture items. Just call me Santa. Christmas came early for these little cubes. Wow, did I just write that? I need to go catch some zzzzzz’s!

OH…and I think they’ll look pretty sweet against a white library wall. Oh, yes! The trip to Ikea has been planned and is only 3 weeks away. Dave and I have come up with some pretty cool ideas and there is even a hidden surprise. Let’s just say it involves a remote and some stuff that only Dave could explain. I can’t wait!

linking here: Home Stories A to Z Tutorials & Tips Linky, Inspire Me Please Linky, Share Your Creativity

Happy DIY Monday!!

th_127015651961492530_AAnBnFoE_f

Connect with Bliss at Home:

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Instagram

38 Comments on DIY No Sew Recovered Storage Cubes

1. Julia @ cuckoo4design
    April 15, 2013 at 6:44 am (1 year ago)

They look fantastic! Great job and I always love when “no sewing” is involved LOL

April 15, 2013 at 9:37 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Julia :) I do too. I need to make better friends with my sewing machine. Hopefully this summer! xo Kristin

April 15, 2013 at 9:38 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, A! Actually I never know what sister I’m talking too…maybe thanks, S! xo Kristin

2. Jayne
    April 15, 2013 at 6:58 am (1 year ago)

These look so chic, great job!

April 15, 2013 at 9:38 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much, Jayne :) xo Kristin

3. Laura
    April 15, 2013 at 7:28 am (1 year ago)

These look great – such an awesome way to update what you have to fit your changing style/needs. Love ‘em!

April 15, 2013 at 9:39 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Laura :) xo Kristin

April 15, 2013 at 7:30 am (1 year ago)

love these, kristin! the white band was the perfect touch!

April 15, 2013 at 9:40 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Cassie :) xo Kristin

5. jillflory
    April 15, 2013 at 8:18 am (1 year ago)

Great job! They look so high end and expensive now! You rock!

April 15, 2013 at 9:41 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much, Jill :) xo Kristin

6. Shavonda@AHomeFullOfColor
    April 15, 2013 at 8:41 am (1 year ago)

Kristin I love them! They look great! And since I can’t sew this is a project even I can attempt. Thanks so much for sharing

April 15, 2013 at 9:42 am (1 year ago)

So glad you like them Shavonda :) Yes, me and my sewing machine need to get reaquainted one of these days. Hope you are feeling better today. Rest up :) xo Kristin

April 15, 2013 at 9:45 am (1 year ago)

I love it when no sewing is required! & I LOVE these! the black and white; it’s always a great combo! they looks rich! and they look perfect under your desk! :-)

April 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks so much Ingrid! After I did this post, I thought, this summer I need to bust out my sewing machine and make something! xo Kristin

8. Jesse @ Scout & Nimble
    April 15, 2013 at 12:52 pm (1 year ago)

They look great!!! And no sewing is for sure a plus! ;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

April 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks, Jesse :) Yes, I agree. I need to hone my sewing skills more. Just one more skill to work on this summer. I’ve done small things, pillow covers, placemats, & my aunt helped me with super long lined curtains, but ,alas, I need more practice. xo Kristin

9. Jennifer @ Brave New Home
    April 15, 2013 at 3:56 pm (1 year ago)

I’m always so impressed and inspired by how you take a style to the next level. I love no-sew anything!

April 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks so much Jennifer :) I love how style is always evolving. xo, Kristin

10. Jennifer@The Chronicles of Home
    April 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm (1 year ago)

You know me, I love a reupholstery job! These came out so great! Love the white trim on the black, and they really look like they belong in your room now :)

April 15, 2013 at 7:40 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks, Jennifer :) I am itching to bring some more color into this space but I need to wait until we install the library wall. I feel like we are building a good foundation for all the fun stuff ;) xo, Kristin

April 16, 2013 at 6:20 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much Jennifer :) I love b + w in spaces. xo Kristin

11. Brandi
    April 16, 2013 at 6:50 am (1 year ago)

You gave them a gorgeous makeover! They look so much nicer than before. Awesome job!!

April 16, 2013 at 12:32 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks so much, Brandi :) xo Kristin

12. Abby @ Just a Girl and Her Blog
    April 18, 2013 at 9:16 pm (1 year ago)

You had me at “no-sew”! They turned out so wonderfully and I LOVE how they serve so many different purposes in your space! I popped over from Inspire Me Please–thanks for sharing!

~Abby =)

13. BLISS AT HOME
    April 18, 2013 at 9:28 pm (1 year ago)

Hi, Abby :) Thanks for stopping by. I love a good No Sew project! I am going to pop on over to your blog. xo Kristin

14. Carrie From Carrie This Home
    April 19, 2013 at 8:07 am (1 year ago)

Looks great! I’m going to pin this in case I find any storage cubes I can recover. By the way I LOVE the navy blue color on your walls! Stopping by from Inspire Me Please Weekend Blog Hop.

April 19, 2013 at 1:03 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks Carrie :) I have been on a huge love affair with navy, black, white, and gold lately. Now I’m throwing in some gray too. This room just keeps on evolving into something better :) Have a great weekend! xo Kristin

15. April Hoff
    April 21, 2013 at 8:02 am (1 year ago)

These are GORGEOUS! They look perfect in their new home too! I love that you did this without sewing!

April 21, 2013 at 8:21 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much, April :) I just hopped over to your blog and I love it! I’m following you through Bloglovin’ since google will be gone soon. Have a great Sunday! xo Kristin

16. Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno
    April 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm (1 year ago)

What a transformation! These look incredible…perfect for your home! Great job, Kristin! :)

April 22, 2013 at 6:32 am (1 year ago)

Thanks so much :) xo Kristin

17. Kristy B
    May 4, 2013 at 9:40 pm (12 months ago)

Wow! These look great. I have to black ones that are now stained. I was thinking about covering them with some table cloth fabric with plastic on top. Walmart has a really cute damask pattern. I would love to see how you stapled the top. I be sure to link back here when I post my photos! Thanks for the tutorial!

May 5, 2013 at 11:22 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks, Kristy :) To staple the top I started at the center of one side and worked to the corner. I stapled along the edge of the wood so that it wouldn’t mess with the way the lids fit on top. The corners I just pleated evenly on each side. Super duper easy! Hope yours turn out great! xo Kristin

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY No Sew Recovered Storage Cubes

1. [...] I showed my latest DIY for our Project in Progress. You can see the tutorial on how I made these No Sew Fabric Covered Storage Cubes that now fit perfectly in our living room and provide extra storage and seating. I love it when I [...]

2. [...] up in the living room I spray painted my accent table peacock blue. I showed you how I made my no sew fabric storage cubes out of old toy storage from our playroom. I revamped a broken tray and made it into a lacquered [...]