DIY Monday: Organization Station

Organization Station

One of the first DIY’s I ever posted was this Fabric & Nailhead Pinboard. If you were a follower of the blog then, you may remember it or  if you want a refresher you can check out the full tutorial here.

Organization Station

Guilty Blogger Confessions  Well, it hasn’t really served it’s purpose. I originally made it for an office (that I haven’t even started on) and then it sat against a wall for a while.  Around the holidays, I used it on my fireplace only because I didn’t have anything else to put there.

Holiday Sparkle

Well, after a trip to the Target Dollar Spot I found some items to breathe new life into my board.

Target Dollar Spot Finds

Here’s what I came up with using these items and things I already had around the house…We have a tight entrance off our garage that lands right into our kitchen. It is a major drop zone, especially during the school year. Adding the coat rack really helped but we still needed an area to put the out-the-door essentials and I wanted a mommy command center of sorts.

Small Space Drop Zone

For the board, I glued the arrow clips and 3 strong magnets on it using Quick Grip Adhesive. I chose that adhesive because it is strong and like the name–quick. The small metal buckets I wanted on magnets so I or the kids could grab them and set them on the table when we want to use the contents. We seem to do everything at our kitchen table–eat, homework, art projects, and the list goes on…

Fabric Board

Fabric Board

We added a key rack, charging station and used baskets from around the house. The basket right on top we can put library books and movies to return, scratch paper, and other grab and go items. Along the fridge we have our giant calendar. I think life just seems more in order on a giant calendar. This one is from the Organizher line by Mead and I love it because it has a spot for every family member’s schedule and a meal planner. On the fridge we have a spot for mail, a note pad for shopping lists, and more clips for more important papers or invitations.

Mommy Command Center

On the shelves I have binders with our important home information and a basket full of crayons and paper for my little guy. I used the magazine holders to hold all my cook books.

Organizaging a Drop Zone

This old microwave cart was donated to us you could say, and it was given a little spray paint makeover. This is such a small space but now it functions for our family.

P1110219

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Instagram

45 Comments on DIY Monday: Organization Station

1. Julia @cuckoo4design
    March 11, 2013 at 8:25 am (1 year ago)

Very functional and pretty! I might have to get some of those arrow clips myself.

March 11, 2013 at 10:15 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Julia! I feel so put-together! Hopefully, it will last! xo Kristin

2. jlhoneyman
    March 11, 2013 at 8:38 am (1 year ago)

Perfect solution, and great spot for it too right between the door and kitchen. Those are always the major drop spots for us too. Love Target’s Dollar Spot!

March 11, 2013 at 10:16 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Jennifer :) I dream of having a large mudroom, but this will have to do for now. xo Kristin

3. Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno
    March 11, 2013 at 10:32 am (1 year ago)

Such a great looking little station! I love how it turned out…the patterns are amazing!!! :)

March 11, 2013 at 10:34 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Gabbi :)

4. Anna
    March 11, 2013 at 11:01 am (1 year ago)

you want a project at my house?…THAT IS IT!!! you have seen my cluster of a back door entry (essentially 4 doorways in less that 5 feet. and where everything gets dropped…literally (thank you small children who live in my house) I NEED YOU!!!! please? <3

March 11, 2013 at 11:07 pm (1 year ago)

We can arrange that the next time we come for a visit ;) xo K

5. Jane
    March 11, 2013 at 11:42 am (1 year ago)

I love those wood clips! Definitely need to do something like this in my house – we have piles of paper everywhere!

March 11, 2013 at 11:08 pm (1 year ago)

Well, it’s easy and can’t go wrong with those clips for $1. xo Kristin

6. twopurplecouches
    March 11, 2013 at 12:33 pm (1 year ago)

Beautiful! Love the gray + teal + white.

March 11, 2013 at 11:08 pm (1 year ago)

7. Lo
    March 11, 2013 at 5:45 pm (1 year ago)

I’m addicted to the Tar-jay dollar spot. Awesome command center! Love the gray chevron and aqua color combo.

March 11, 2013 at 11:09 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks, Lo :) They always have good stuff in there, don’t they?! xo Kristin

8. Jesse @ Scout & Nimble
    March 11, 2013 at 10:23 pm (1 year ago)

So cute, Kristin! Target’s $ section is the best. I can ALWAYS find something to take home with me from those darn bins. ;) Jesse @ Scout & Nimble

March 11, 2013 at 11:10 pm (1 year ago)

I should experiment and keep track of every cent we spend at Target. I know they get a lot of our $! xo Kristin

9. Kayla
    March 11, 2013 at 10:23 pm (1 year ago)

Kristen, this is such a creative use of space! I love how functional and beautiful it is. Wishing I had a place like this in my home :). Well done Momma!!

March 11, 2013 at 11:11 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks, Kayla :) xo Kristin

March 12, 2013 at 12:55 am (1 year ago)

It looks great Kristin! love how everything is well organized and still very pretty and girly!

March 12, 2013 at 6:58 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Ingrid :) It’s hard to be the only girl in the house sometimes, LOL. I want a feminine touch but I have to keep my boys in mind. If I ever start my office that will be my ultra girly place. xo Kristin

11. Kelly @ View Along the Way
    March 12, 2013 at 9:04 am (1 year ago)

That is some beautiful storage! We SO need something like that in our house. I hope whatever we end up with looks that beautiful!

March 12, 2013 at 4:39 pm (1 year ago)

Hi, Kelly :) Thanks! I feel so with it, I need to go look in the mirror and see if it’s really me! xo Kristin

12. Shavonda@AHomeFullOfColor
    March 12, 2013 at 3:46 pm (1 year ago)

I just live how you’ve used this space. I’m a huge advocate for using every square inch of your home and this is such a great example:) I may have to incorporate something like this in our upcoming laundry/mushroom revamp.

March 12, 2013 at 4:41 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks, Shavonda :) I just love your blog. When you have a small house I think it makes you find creative ways to do things, that’s for sure! xo Kristin

13. Lori Dorrington
    March 13, 2013 at 1:16 pm (1 year ago)

Drop Zone…I love that term. That’s just what I need to add to our next home (house shopping right now). Our current drop zone is on the kitchen table and we spend way too much time shifting the piles so we can eat/write/design etc… This is a great solution. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!
    Lori in Atlanta

March 13, 2013 at 2:50 pm (1 year ago)

Hi, Lori :) I understand the kitchen table thing, that’s for sure! Glad you like our drop zone. Thanks for stopping by! xo Kristin

14. Emily A. Clark
    March 13, 2013 at 9:03 pm (1 year ago)

Such a smart use of your space! And, I love the idea of the magnetic cups. Thanks for linking up :)

March 14, 2013 at 6:11 am (1 year ago)

Hi, Emily :) Thanks for that. Great party! xo Kristin

15. Krista
    March 16, 2013 at 11:17 pm (1 year ago)

Love the command center! I so neeeeeed that! I am going to make a command center closet really soon, thanks for the tips and ideas!
    Krista

March 17, 2013 at 6:57 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Krista :) Happy St. Patrick’s Day! xo Kristin

16. Aimee - ItsOverflowing
    March 21, 2013 at 10:33 am (1 year ago)

This is fabulous Kristin! So glad that thing of beauty is getting good use now!!! Featuring you tomorrow! XO, Aimee

17. Tabitha
    March 29, 2013 at 2:22 pm (1 year ago)

Wow, that is one pretty and functional space! Such great ideas–and it looks great, too!

18. Kris {Driven by Décor}
    March 29, 2013 at 5:21 pm (1 year ago)

Love this – especially your idea of using the buckets with the magnets. Would be perfect for corralling all of the little things my girls are always leaving around the house!

19. Kellie
    March 30, 2013 at 8:41 am (1 year ago)

I just found your blog and really like this solution. Would you mind sharing the source of your charging station?

April 1, 2013 at 7:51 am (1 year ago)

Hi, Kellie :) We purchased the charging station from Target @ years ago. xo Kristin

20. Melanie
    August 7, 2013 at 5:29 pm (9 months ago)

Wish those items where still on the dollar spot!! :(

August 7, 2013 at 6:17 pm (9 months ago)

I know! They’ll have something soon I bet ;) xo Kristin

6Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY Monday: Organization Station

1. [...] I shared our newly organized drop zone. You can get details on how we built our coat rack, our fabric pinboard, and all the scoop on what products I used to organize it. Just click here. [...]

2. [...] In March, I shared with you all the great Organizher products I used in my Organization Station. [...]

3. [...] Organization Station – Bliss at Home [...]

4. […] small baskets of supplies. Down yonder is a key rack and charging station. It seems Kristin of Bliss At Home has thought of it […]