DIY Fabric Covered Boxes

544627_448989595171551_1824439675_n

Happy DIY Monday!!

I don’t feel near 100 percent yet, but I have been told by many who have suffered the same flu that it takes weeks so I will take what I can get. I missed you all and thank you for all your well-wishes!

Today’s DIY is (as promised) a tutorial on how I made the fabric boxes for my coat closet makeover.

The Supplies:

P1110076

Cardboard boxes

Fabric (I bought 2 yards for the boxes I did)

Spray Adhesive (3M has the best one, I just used what I had already)

Scissors or Straight Cutter

Yardstick

Chalk or Fabric Marker

No Sew Glue to secure corners

Step 1:  Inside Cuts

P1110077

The first cut you want to make is for the bottom of the inside. I just chalked my line right on the fabric and cut.  Then I measured the inside walls and cut those. I cut the length of two walls in one cut, so you should only have to make 2 cuts for all four walls.I added a extra inch to allow for the top to fold over the other side.

P1110078

Now for the spray adhesive. Make sure you are working in a well-ventilated area and protect your surroundings before using. Basically, use the same precautions you would use when using a can of spray paint. Coat the entire area that you want to place the fabric on. Press it down and smooth out any bumps. As you see in the photo above I cut the 2 corners on top so they would fold nicely over the side.

P1110079

Go ahead and glue your overlapping sides down after you make your two corner cuts.

Step 2:  Outside Cuts

Now you are ready to make your outside cuts for your box. I used the same concept for the outer sides. I measured the length of 2 sides for one cut. Remember to leave an extra inch on the bottom and an extra inch on the top.

Go ahead and spray your surfaces and attach your fabric cuts.

Here you see how I folded the extra fabric on the bottom. I used spray adhesive and I also used the No Sew Glue on the tricky corners.

P1110080

I also temporarily used tape to hold my adjoining corner in place before I sprayed my last 2 sides and added the last fabric piece. I used the No Sew Glue on the overlapping pieces too. **To get a good seal with the No Sew Glue just make sure you apply it to both the fabric and the surface you want it to attach to.

P1110082

This was the perfect solution for our winter storage needs. I couldn’t find baskets or storage boxes in the size and pattern I wanted so this was the next best thing. When all else fails, make your own!

P1110130

DIY Fabric Covered Boxes

Happy Monday!!

th_127015651961492530_AAnBnFoE_f

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Instagram

linking to:

TDC Before and After
&
&

25 Comments on DIY Fabric Covered Boxes

March 4, 2013 at 8:43 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Kenley :) Glad you like it! xo Kristin

1. cuckoo4design
    March 4, 2013 at 8:24 am (1 year ago)

Wow, yes…this is great! I would have never guessed that you used this type of cardboard box for this project.
    And one question: Where did you get that fabric? I love it.

March 4, 2013 at 8:46 am (1 year ago)

Julia, the fabric came from Hobby Lobby. Super cheap, I think it was 3.98/yard. Outdoor fabric would be really great on these too. I think when I make more of them I will use outdoor fabric, but for what I needed them for (just holding scarves & winter gear) this fabric is fine. 3M definitely has the best spray adhesive too ;) xo Kristin

2. Sarah
    March 4, 2013 at 9:47 am (1 year ago)

These turned out so great! I currently have two cardboard boxes stashed in our coat closet too – the size is perfect, but the look is well, not so perfect. I’ll have to carefully read your tutorial again – but I think I might just have to copy you and prettify {that’s a word right} our cardboard boxes too!
    Sarah

March 5, 2013 at 6:50 am (1 year ago)

Prettify is totally a word, I think?! LOL Glad you feel inspired. I searched and searched for storage boxes or baskets like the ones in my head. They didn’t exist around these parts at least. When al else fails, make your own! xo Kristin

3. Lourdes
    March 4, 2013 at 9:49 am (1 year ago)

My mind is racing with ideas where I can put pretty boxes like this! thanks!

4. jillflory
    March 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm (1 year ago)

What a clever way to have great looking storage on the cheap. Gotta remember this one – pin it I shall!!

March 4, 2013 at 6:09 pm (1 year ago)

love the fabric you used! they look so sophisticated! :)

March 5, 2013 at 6:52 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Cassie :) When I see them I totally forget they are just cardboard boxes. xo Kristin

6. Kelly @ View Along the Way
    March 4, 2013 at 8:40 pm (1 year ago)

I love these so much! Pinning them! I need to reorg my closet soon and this is a perfect solution.

March 5, 2013 at 6:53 am (1 year ago)

Yay! I love that you can literally customize anything, even cardboard boxes! xo Kristin

March 5, 2013 at 2:25 am (1 year ago)

Great idea Kristin, they look beautiful, love the fabric you choose and can’t believe you did this with card board boxes; they look beautiful :-)

8. Tiina
    March 7, 2013 at 11:21 am (1 year ago)

I’m so happy you’re back and healthy. I need your daily dose of inspiration, not to mention all of your fun DIY projects!

T

March 8, 2013 at 11:05 am (1 year ago)

I will be back real soon!! Just doing some much needed revamping!! xo Kristin

9. Ruth
    March 9, 2013 at 5:49 pm (1 year ago)

Love these boxes. That fabric is fabulous. Wonderful storage made beautiful.
    Ruth

March 10, 2013 at 8:24 am (1 year ago)

10. Kris
    June 26, 2013 at 10:04 am (10 months ago)

Paper boxes, with covers, would be great covered as well. I will have to try this.

June 27, 2013 at 7:17 am (10 months ago)

Definitely :) Great idea Kris! xo Kristin

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY Fabric Covered Boxes

1. [...] that they can become an important part of the interior design.  You can even DIY like Kristin at Bliss (love her [...]

2. [...] Paint Pin It I’ve seen a bunch of fabric-covered boxes tutorials, but I particularly like Bliss at Home‘s Pin It I’ve also recently started following For the Love of and Andrea is doing a [...]

3. […] DIY Fabric Covered Boxes […]