DIY Gold Elephant

Happy DIY Monday!!

P1100663_zps713faab9 (1)

Today I am linking to the Dog Days of Winter Make It! Challenge so it was time to try one of those Pinterest crafts I have had pinned forever.

For probably a year, I have had gold elephants pinned (I am pathetically late on getting to this one, I know!! )

Here’s the inspiration:

OB-snapshot_zpsf95814c9

For more painted animal inspiration or to see the sources of these images check out my Pinterest board.

I just love that you can go to the dollar store and paint a toy of your choosing and have a fun accent piece! Lots of the ones I have seen use spray paint, but I wanted to try liquid gold leaf since I have never used it before.

P1100650_zpsca0a6982

P1100651_zpsab640e49

This stuff has a super strong odor, but I love the finish. A little goes a long way too!

P1100669_zps92995002

So, we named her “Priscilla the Elephant”. I think she looks like a Priscilla…

P1100663_zps713faab9

I love this liquid gold leaf! Now I want to find other things to use it on!

P1100664_zpsb7e0e484

Have a great Monday!!

th_127015651961492530_AAnBnFoE_f

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

I am linking up to:

40 Comments on DIY Gold Elephant

1. Heidi Rew
    January 28, 2013 at 7:10 am (2 years ago)

Love the gold elephant!! I’ll about painting some toy animals. I did something like this for place settings and it was so fun. Also…love the Shaunti Feldhan book! She lives here in Atlanta and since I work at the Christian radio station, I got to meet her a couple years ago. Such an awesome lady. Great job, Kristin! <3 Heidi Rew from PartiesforPennies.com

January 28, 2013 at 10:52 am (2 years ago)

That’s cool you know her, Heidi. We used her book in part of a bible study I was in. xo Kristin

January 28, 2013 at 7:19 am (2 years ago)

I really like the look of your elephant, I have been playing with animals too! I created toys for my son too using dinosaurs and wanted to do something pretty for myself! Nice project!

January 28, 2013 at 10:52 am (2 years ago)

I have dinos pinned on my board for the boys too :) Great minds…xo Kristin

3. cuckoo4design
    January 28, 2013 at 7:26 am (2 years ago)

I love the elephant! Looks great Kristin.

January 28, 2013 at 10:53 am (2 years ago)

Thanks, Julia! xo Kristin

4. Jorie
    January 28, 2013 at 8:00 am (2 years ago)

Adorable! And very encouraging that it’s so easy :)

5. barbiejane
    January 28, 2013 at 8:11 am (2 years ago)

Lovely! I have a wooden elephant that needs some retouching. This is such a good idea!! Going to get some liquid gold leaf…

January 28, 2013 at 10:53 am (2 years ago)

I really like the finish it leaves. Very metallic! xo Kristin

6. walkingonadream89
    January 28, 2013 at 10:40 am (2 years ago)

I wrote about this too!! If you use gold spray paint, it’s much faster and less smelly haha

January 28, 2013 at 10:51 am (2 years ago)

Yeah, I am a spray paint junkie too ;) Unfortunately, where I live we have had below freezing temps. I spray paint outdoors or in my garage and it was just a no-go in winter months. I needed something I could work with indoors. xo Kristin

• Anne
        February 2, 2013 at 9:11 pm (2 years ago)

Warning. With this product you need excellent ventilation, And do not let it touch your skin. If you read the product label, there are dangerous chemicals in it and warnings.
        I’ve used the silver and gold. Now I’m going to use cooper. I absolutely love it. I’m afraid I’m going to end up with a totally blingy house.

February 4, 2013 at 9:17 am (2 years ago)

Glad you shared this, Anne. I didn’t go into detail about the product, I guess sometimes I just assume that people would read the label before using a new product for the first time. Thanks for pointing it out :) xo Kristin

7. Jennifer @ Brave New Home
    January 28, 2013 at 10:52 am (2 years ago)

I love this! I’ve seen lotsa painted animals but I really love the wrinkly detail of the elephant’s skin on this one and the gold leaf paint doesn’t make it look heavy. I love gold paint and am gonna need to try some of that one at some point!

January 28, 2013 at 10:55 am (2 years ago)

I really liked the detail too, Jennifer. It’s amazing that it looks like I hardly used any of the liquid leaf from that tiny bottle too! xo Kristin

8. Kayla
    January 28, 2013 at 11:41 am (2 years ago)

I love this idea too and have pinned it and wanted to try it at some point. Great tip on the liquid gold leaf. The finish is stunning!!

January 28, 2013 at 5:52 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks, Kayla! I love the finish too! xo Kristin

9. thesuitelifedesigns
    January 28, 2013 at 12:01 pm (2 years ago)

The elephant turned out so pretty! Would never know it was a dollar store toy! Cute idea and inspiration.

January 28, 2013 at 5:53 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks! Isn’t it great when something is inexpensive and easy to do! To me those are the best kinds of projects! xo Kristin

10. Iris Interiors LLC
    January 28, 2013 at 12:33 pm (2 years ago)

I LOVE it! So adorable. There’s something so chic about elephants. Someone gave me a book of crafts as a gift and one of the crafts was a doll head painted in gold leaf. Creepy but made me want to paint something fun.

January 28, 2013 at 5:54 pm (2 years ago)

Oh, that’s funny! Creepy, but funny! Gold is gaining so much popularity again in interiors and I love it when people mix it with other metals. xo Kristin

11. christinakelly233018943
    January 28, 2013 at 4:46 pm (2 years ago)

So simple yet super effective and like yous said, you could duplicate this so many ways. I like the gold leaf rather spray paint..it just has such a glamorous look to it. Does it look as nice in person as it does in the photos?

January 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm (2 years ago)

It does :) I am so impressed with liquid leaf. This was my first time using it so I wasn’t sure what I was going to end up with. Very happy with the results! xo Kristin

12. Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno
    January 28, 2013 at 5:27 pm (2 years ago)

That looks great! I bought some liquid gold leaf a couple months ago, but I haven’t tried it out. You are really making me want to bust it out! :)

January 28, 2013 at 5:56 pm (2 years ago)

I started a board on Pinterest of things I want to gold leaf now. That stuff is amazing! xo Kristin

13. Sarah {Lacquer & Linen}
    January 28, 2013 at 7:13 pm (2 years ago)

Thats so funny, I just spray painted a little plastic elephant for my bookshelf this weekend! I kinda took the easy way out using spray paint instead of gold leaf though! hahaha I’ve been seeing so many cute elephant things lately, if I were having a boy I would for sure do an elephant nursery for him.

January 28, 2013 at 7:33 pm (2 years ago)

Ha! Too funny! Yeah, I think we are going to see a lot of elephant, gold, and chinoiserie decor :) That would be so sweet for a little boy’s nursery! xo Kristin

14. katie lake
    January 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm (2 years ago)

This makes me think of all the brass animals my mom had when I was growing up. I have been trying to find some in antique stores but they seem to have disappeared! Might have to try my hand at making my own. I love your blue willow bowl for your bracelets. So classic!

January 28, 2013 at 7:36 pm (2 years ago)

That is so true, Katie. The only brass animals I have found are a pair of little birds. I found them at Goodwill, but it is hard to find them. I love blue willow. I just started collecting it over the summer. Blue and white china never goes out of style :) xo Kristin

15. Jeni Johnson
    January 29, 2013 at 2:27 am (2 years ago)

K! You just get more Hollywood regal glam and I love it! A lot of people think gold can be outdated, but no, when used in moderation, they make great statement peices! Hugs!

January 29, 2013 at 6:54 am (2 years ago)

Oh, I love it! What a great point of view! xo K

16. champydreamsboxedwinebudget
    January 29, 2013 at 10:02 am (2 years ago)

So cute! I have a mini elephant obsession (and gold obsession), so I don’t know how I haven’t thought of this myself! Great idea! xo

January 29, 2013 at 11:10 am (2 years ago)

So glad you like it! xo Kristin

17. twopurplecouches
    January 29, 2013 at 10:18 am (2 years ago)

super-cute and easy! i want to paint some old plastic horse figurines and make them into book-ends :)

January 29, 2013 at 11:11 am (2 years ago)

That’s a great idea. Equestrian interiors are gaining popularity again. That will look really cool! xo Kristin

• twopurplecouches
        January 29, 2013 at 11:26 am (2 years ago)

I have always loved horses, so any way I can incorporate them is a plus :)

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY Gold Elephant