DIY Gold Elephant

Happy DIY Monday!!

P1100663_zps713faab9 (1)

Today I am linking to the Dog Days of Winter Make It! Challenge so it was time to try one of those Pinterest crafts I have had pinned forever.

For probably a year, I have had gold elephants pinned (I am pathetically late on getting to this one, I know!! )

Here’s the inspiration:

OB-snapshot_zpsf95814c9

For more painted animal inspiration or to see the sources of these images check out my Pinterest board.

I just love that you can go to the dollar store and paint a toy of your choosing and have a fun accent piece! Lots of the ones I have seen use spray paint, but I wanted to try liquid gold leaf since I have never used it before.

P1100650_zpsca0a6982

P1100651_zpsab640e49

This stuff has a super strong odor, but I love the finish. A little goes a long way too!

P1100669_zps92995002

So, we named her “Priscilla the Elephant”. I think she looks like a Priscilla…

P1100663_zps713faab9

I love this liquid gold leaf! Now I want to find other things to use it on!

P1100664_zpsb7e0e484

Have a great Monday!!

th_127015651961492530_AAnBnFoE_f

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

I am linking up to:

Comments

1. says

Love the gold elephant!! I’ll about painting some toy animals. I did something like this for place settings and it was so fun. Also…love the Shaunti Feldhan book! She lives here in Atlanta and since I work at the Christian radio station, I got to meet her a couple years ago. Such an awesome lady. Great job, Kristin! <3 Heidi Rew from PartiesforPennies.com

2. says

I really like the look of your elephant, I have been playing with animals too! I created toys for my son too using dinosaurs and wanted to do something pretty for myself! Nice project!

• says

Yeah, I am a spray paint junkie too 😉 Unfortunately, where I live we have had below freezing temps. I spray paint outdoors or in my garage and it was just a no-go in winter months. I needed something I could work with indoors. xo Kristin

• Anne says

Warning. With this product you need excellent ventilation, And do not let it touch your skin. If you read the product label, there are dangerous chemicals in it and warnings.
        I’ve used the silver and gold. Now I’m going to use cooper. I absolutely love it. I’m afraid I’m going to end up with a totally blingy house.

• says

Glad you shared this, Anne. I didn’t go into detail about the product, I guess sometimes I just assume that people would read the label before using a new product for the first time. Thanks for pointing it out :) xo Kristin

3. says

I love this! I’ve seen lotsa painted animals but I really love the wrinkly detail of the elephant’s skin on this one and the gold leaf paint doesn’t make it look heavy. I love gold paint and am gonna need to try some of that one at some point!

4. says

I LOVE it! So adorable. There’s something so chic about elephants. Someone gave me a book of crafts as a gift and one of the crafts was a doll head painted in gold leaf. Creepy but made me want to paint something fun.

5. christinakelly233018943 says

So simple yet super effective and like yous said, you could duplicate this so many ways. I like the gold leaf rather spray paint..it just has such a glamorous look to it. Does it look as nice in person as it does in the photos?

6. says

Thats so funny, I just spray painted a little plastic elephant for my bookshelf this weekend! I kinda took the easy way out using spray paint instead of gold leaf though! hahaha I’ve been seeing so many cute elephant things lately, if I were having a boy I would for sure do an elephant nursery for him.

7. says

This makes me think of all the brass animals my mom had when I was growing up. I have been trying to find some in antique stores but they seem to have disappeared! Might have to try my hand at making my own. I love your blue willow bowl for your bracelets. So classic!

• says

That is so true, Katie. The only brass animals I have found are a pair of little birds. I found them at Goodwill, but it is hard to find them. I love blue willow. I just started collecting it over the summer. Blue and white china never goes out of style :) xo Kristin

8. Jeni Johnson says

K! You just get more Hollywood regal glam and I love it! A lot of people think gold can be outdated, but no, when used in moderation, they make great statement peices! Hugs!

Trackbacks