Rustic// What I’m Loving Right Now: ANTLERS

What I’m Loving Right Now…

FAUX TAXIDERMY

ANTLERS

antlers

Trends definitely come and go. Have you noticed that faux taxidermy isn’t really going anywhere yet? It’s still popping up in shelter mags and your favorite online retailers and shops. I flirted with it this fall and winter when I made my glittered reindeer art. Then, I was on the hunt for some antlers or faux taxidermy that wouldn’t break the bank. Every time I came across one I loved it was way out of my meager price range. I couldn’t see shelling out a couple hundred bucks for well…a buck.

Bring it home…

167742_original_zps1e0584a5

Zgallerie Faux Antlers $39.95  Pottery Barn Faux Antler Plaques $79  Zgallerie White Lacquer Large 39″ Deer Head $249.95  Etsy Deer Head Silhouette Print $30

Embrace it in your space…

This weekend as we hit up some of our favorite flea markets and shops I found a pair of old antlers for only $17. That was the lowest price I’ve seen on them around my corner of the world. They were mounted on a nasty piece of wood, but I could see that I could easily disassemble it and just use the antlers. I was able to talk them down even more, which you should always try to do when you are at a flea market. I should do a post on flea market tips one of these days!

P1100610_zpsabb89b04 P1100611_zpsd70db014 P1100617_zpse88cca96

I just love a little ugly with my pretty in a room! They add more interest and I can use them in different ways. Adding natural elements whether it be a piece of driftwood, plants, or antlers is a great way to layer your space.

Have you jumped on the taxidermy trend or do you want it to be on its way out?

th_127015651961492530_AAnBnFoE_f

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Image Credits:

22 Comments on Rustic// What I’m Loving Right Now: ANTLERS

1. TracieB.
    January 24, 2013 at 9:11 am (1 year ago)

I just read an article the other day that said it was out…totally disagree! I decorate with what I love and do not follow trends..If I did I would be redecorating all the time! I have a lot of antlers/taxidermy in my house and I LOVE them! The article claimed Stainless Steel appliances and Granite counter tops were on there way out too. ??? Love your style!

January 25, 2013 at 6:30 am (1 year ago)

Hi, Tracie! You are my kind of girl! I feel the same way. I just decorate with things I love. I am pretty guilty of not following trends and just loving what I love. I can’t imagine stainless steel appliances ever being out! Thanks for reading! xo Kristin

2. Sarah {Lacquer & Linen}
    January 24, 2013 at 9:24 am (1 year ago)

Oooo I still love it. Just put a giant moose head in my bachelor client’s office. I love those antlers you have, I can’t believe you scored them for less than $17!!

January 25, 2013 at 6:31 am (1 year ago)

Oh, I wish I could see that! They are a great masculine touch :) I can’t believe we talked them down to $12 and they are real ones too. Crazy! xo Kristin

3. acuriouslychiclife
    January 24, 2013 at 9:34 am (1 year ago)

The antlers look awesome on the table! They definitely add interest to the setup!

January 25, 2013 at 6:32 am (1 year ago)

Thank You! I really like them there right now. xo Kristin

4. Gabbi @ Retro Ranch Reno
    January 24, 2013 at 10:34 am (1 year ago)

I go back and forth on this trend…I guess it depends on the look and placement of them. I’m a bigggg fan of the antlers from Z Gallerie you referenced above! They are gorg!!

January 25, 2013 at 6:33 am (1 year ago)

Hi, Gabbi :)Those are the ones I’ve been coveting. I just can’t bring myself to shell out the dough! xo Kristin

5. Jennifer @ Brave New Home
    January 24, 2013 at 10:45 am (1 year ago)

I’m a fan! I think as long as it’s an updated pair or an organic pair in an updated space, it works!

January 25, 2013 at 6:33 am (1 year ago)

Good insight, Jennifer! I agree totally. xo Kristin

6. Kristyn
    January 24, 2013 at 10:50 am (1 year ago)

i love the faux deer/antler look! i think it gives rustic a modern twist :)

ps. i updated my blog address/blog. here’s a link so you can find me: http://poppyeventsblog.blogspot.com/
    thanks!

xo,
    kristyn

January 25, 2013 at 6:34 am (1 year ago)

It really does play modern, totally agree. Thanks for the new info, Kristyn. I’ll be sure to follow you there :) Kristin

7. Julia @cuckoo4design
    January 24, 2013 at 12:09 pm (1 year ago)

I have loved it for a very long time now. I got my white cardboard deer head about 4 years ago (everybody thought I was nuts) and I still love it. For Christmas I just got the gazelle, the ram and I also have a rhino ;) Love them all, well I’m kind of obsessed! I still have to write a post about them, thanks for reminding me ;)

January 25, 2013 at 6:36 am (1 year ago)

Oh, I would love to see that! I love the faux gazelles too :) Isn’t it great that in your home you just have to decorate for you & your fam! I’m sure I get some weird reactions on some of the things I do around here,but we all love it ;) xo Kristin

8. Behold!ahoneybee
    January 24, 2013 at 12:53 pm (1 year ago)

I think it is great to mix in these pieces to add some masculine touches, especially if you are married or living with your bf. We have some horns from when we lived in Texas and they are such a great memory, but also tasteful. Great post! xo Melissa

January 25, 2013 at 6:37 am (1 year ago)

I love it when items have a story or memory with them. Things that you can walk by and smile at are the best! xo Kristin

9. jillflory
    January 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm (1 year ago)

Oh I love antlers and always have! I finally have several – and they have all been free – found in Kansas and hauled home with me! My faux deer head has a cool tale to it – it’s on my blog if you care to read about it! i can email you the link if you want it.

January 25, 2013 at 6:37 am (1 year ago)

I checked that out! I love that your friend let you rescue it and fix it. It looks great, Jill! xo Kristin

10. Anneke McConnell
    January 25, 2013 at 1:56 am (1 year ago)

We got the real deal this last fall! Still trying to figure out where to put it though since it’s the antlers AND skull. #wifeofhunterproblems :-)

~Anneke

Sent from my iPhone

January 25, 2013 at 6:39 am (1 year ago)

You crack me up! Maybe in your office? That might be cool. xo Kristin

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Rustic// What I’m Loving Right Now: ANTLERS

1. [...] went on about my continued love of faux taxidermy + antlers. I shared inspiration photos of some great interiors with the trend, a shopping source list, and [...]

2. [...] dished on the leopard trends in home decor and I had to try it out. I’m still obsessing about faux taxidermy + antlers and so happy I found an affordable way to add them into my home. We also talked about chinoiserie [...]