From Trash to Treasure

Good Morning!

Today I am sharing my latest thrifty find and how I made it work in our home.

My friend, Anneke, has a great blog called This, That, & Life. She is always finding things on Craigslist and making them awesome. I’ve done the Craigslist thing to sell a few things and buy a few things but don’t go on there often. Anneke influenced me to look on it after I read yet another one of her Craigslist praises.

I am happy to report I have solved another lighting issue in our home and my love affair with gold continues.

These wall lamps were listed for FREE. I immediately saw the potential and jumped on THAT. Obviously they needed some tweaking though.

P1100295

I had just ordered this chandy and these shades for my living room. (both purchased from overstock.com)

118571402661166006_5K8vA0R9_c 118571402661166010_iHXgKdF7_c

P1100382_zps929788d1

So, since these spaces are adjoining I decided to go the same route with the wall lamps. I found gold-lined black shades in-store at the Home Depot and they are a good match to my chandy shades.

I love a good inexpensive home project and this one only cost me the price of the shades and the napkin rings. Two wall lamps with cord covers for under $20–$18 dollars to be exact!

P1100406_zpsa8f2145b

I love how they turned out. The napkin rings were clearanced at Target after the holidays for $.88 each. Just by adding a little detail and new shades they work in this space.

P1100407_zps474e0c76

I played around with the decor. I don’t know if it  is Downton Abbey that influenced this look or our anniversary trip and the beautiful cottage we stayed in, but I am really feeling English inspired decor right now!

P1100410_zps06229cfa

I slip-covered the bench cushions in an old tartan I picked up at a flea market. The colors are perfect.

P1100413_zps7ba45d1b

It’s a little Equestrian, a little masculine, and a little whimsical and I am diggin’ it!

P1100425_zpsc8bf68f8

Are you feeling the Downton Abbey vibe in home decor lately? This makes me wish I had a horse and grounds to go riding on. Oh, to be Lady Mary!

Happy Monday!!!

th_127015651961492530_AAnBnFoE_f

Linking up to:

Liz Marie Blog

28 Comments on From Trash to Treasure

1. Green Door Hospitality
    January 7, 2013 at 9:56 am (1 year ago)

The DIY turned out great! And yes… we too are feeling the Downton Abbey pull.
    Kenley

January 8, 2013 at 7:07 am (1 year ago)

Yay! I love that they get to film at Highclere Castle. I am not really into the opulence and over indulgence of that era in high society, but I do like aspects of it. xo Kristin

2. annekemcconnell
    January 7, 2013 at 10:02 am (1 year ago)

You’re to sweet Kristin! LOVE that you got those lights for free!!! I was feeling outnumbered on twitter last night as everyone DIY home decor blogger I knew was raving about Downton Abbey! Haha, I was watching the Biggest Loser. ;-) BUT, the bench looks awesome!

• annekemcconnell
      January 7, 2013 at 10:02 am (1 year ago)

Shoot…*too*. oops! ;-)

January 8, 2013 at 7:09 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Anneke! Every once in a while I like a little plaid in my decor. It usually pops up during the colder months and I pack it away for spring.Excited to see you at Haven :) Kristin

3. Sarah
    January 7, 2013 at 10:04 am (1 year ago)

LOVE! What a great Craigslist find. I love how the lamps look with their black shades.
    Sarah

4. Tiina
    January 7, 2013 at 10:06 am (1 year ago)

I absolutely love this idea! Napkin rings – genius! You’ve inspired me to finally get moving on the sconces for my dining room. The whole vignette looks fabulous!

January 8, 2013 at 7:12 am (1 year ago)

Thanks Tiina! I was going to make my own bling to add to them and then I stumbled upon those napkin rings! Can’t wait to see what you come up with! xo Kristin

5. Diane
    January 7, 2013 at 11:09 am (1 year ago)

Just found your blog and loving it! Happy to be your newest follower via email and look forward to some awesome b&a. Diane

January 8, 2013 at 7:35 am (1 year ago)

Hi, Diane! Thank you so much! I happy to hear you are enjoying my blog :) I will have to come visit yours when I get some time today :) xo Kristin

6. Anna
    January 7, 2013 at 1:10 pm (1 year ago)

take your pretty boots and call Sarah…she has two BEAUTIFUL horses who LOVE to trot! Looks good Pink…Love it!

January 8, 2013 at 7:12 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Tinkie! I will have to try that when it gets warmer here :) Kristin

7. lulu
    January 7, 2013 at 3:30 pm (1 year ago)

Aren’t you the clever one! I don’t know that my decor will be inspired by Downton Abbey, but I would sure love to wear Mary’s clothes.

January 8, 2013 at 7:14 am (1 year ago)

Oh, yes! She always has the best clothes ;) I go through stages with my personal decor. I like to take away from different periods but in a modern way. xo Kristin

January 7, 2013 at 4:11 pm (1 year ago)

These wall lamps turned out great! :-) love the gold too :-) & of course I love the old-tartan slip cover, great look and nice boots too :-)

January 8, 2013 at 7:14 am (1 year ago)

Thank you! I think it’s fun for the fall and winter months. xo Kristin

9. Jesse
    January 7, 2013 at 4:24 pm (1 year ago)

Great job! Love a free find! Is it terrible if I say that I have yet to even watch an Abbey episode…am I missing out?

January 8, 2013 at 7:16 am (1 year ago)

Oh, Jesse, it is good! You should Netflix the past 2 seasons. Dave even watches it with me. We are both hooked! xo Kristin

10. jillflory
    January 7, 2013 at 5:54 pm (1 year ago)

It’s lovely! your lights work great in that space and it’s so awesome that they were so inexpensive :)

January 8, 2013 at 7:20 am (1 year ago)

Thanks, Jill! I get excited when I see potential in something. I am pretty happy with how they turned out :) Kristin

11. Jeni Johnson
    January 7, 2013 at 9:38 pm (1 year ago)

Wow! Many amazing changes since my last visit to your blog. Another great find and great napkin ring idea. :)

January 8, 2013 at 7:21 am (1 year ago)

Hi, J! So nice to see you back in the blogosphere! I hope you are adjusting to life back in the states. How long are you back for? xo K

• Jeni Johnson
        January 10, 2013 at 10:15 am (1 year ago)

Thanks! That’s a tough question to answer right now, It’s not how long but where. :( but for now, I’m feeling better each day….

12. Jennifer @ Brave New Home
    January 7, 2013 at 10:20 pm (1 year ago)

Very nice and truly inspiring!

Were the sconces plug-in or did you have to buy a converter kit? Lighting is still completely new to me and anything you don’t plug into a wall intimidates me.

January 8, 2013 at 7:25 am (1 year ago)

They were already plug-in. I was thinking about just hard-wiring them, but I liked the look of the cord covers so I went with it. We have plaster walls and an old house, but I got lucky because Dave used to be an electrician. It’s handy having your own personal sparky on had ;) xo Kristin

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on From Trash to Treasure