DIY Emerald Green Decorative Box

118571402661045356_YRRiaVnX_c

If you are in the fashion and design world this is not news that the PANTONE Color of the Year for 2013 is Emerald Green. When this was announced awhile back I was so excited! It is by far one of my favorite colors!

In honor of this, I decided to take a trip to my local Michael’s and come up with a DIY project to inject some emerald green into my home. I knew before I entered that I wanted to make some more decorative boxes. I just love them. Done right, they are chic and useful for extra storage.

These boxes inspired me:

So I got a little crafty and made a few different ones for different areas in our home. This is a really easy way to bring a new color into your space without a big commitment. Per box I spent about $5 or less.

P1100207_zps6b2a81fa

For the emerald green box I used:

P1100197_zps5fbe9ea4

• an unfinished wooden jewelry box (these are super inexpensive $2-$3)

• 1 small gloss acrylic paint craft paint in green. (there are several different shades of green to choose from, I just went with the green that most looked like emerald green)

• craft paint brush

• jewelry gems (I just browsed the jewelry supply aisle)

• strong glue (super glue or gorilla glue)

**I removed the existing latch off the box. The paint dries pretty fast. I did two coats and it covered well.

P1100216_zps250b6255 P1100224_zps38b90529

For the navy blue boxes:

• box within a box unfinished wooden box set

• 1 small gloss acrylic craft paint in navy

• self-adhesive gold stud embellishments (found in the scrapbook aisle)

**I removed existing latches off boxes and applied two coats of paint.

P1100204_zps0db430ea

For the black and gold box:

• wooden keepsake box already comes in black

• self-adhesive gold stud embellishments (found in the scrapbook aisle)

• (2) 2-packs of jewelry box hinges

• screwdriver

P1100193_zps3359c3bc P1100203_zpsdeafcbfb

Happy Friday!!!

th_127015651961492530_AAnBnFoE_f

31 Comments on DIY Emerald Green Decorative Box

1. nwbnstr
    December 28, 2012 at 11:21 am (2 years ago)

I absolutely LOVE these! I have $50 in Michael’s gift cards from Christmas so I know what I’ll be getting! Thanks for more great inspiration :)

December 28, 2012 at 11:26 am (2 years ago)

You betcha! Happy crafting! xo Kristin

December 28, 2012 at 12:37 pm (2 years ago)

They look so pretty, I have an obsession with decorative boxes and think I will try to do some of these! :-)

December 28, 2012 at 12:45 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks! I love adding a little bling to something ordinary. Everything needs a little jewelry :) Kristin

3. twopurplecouches
    December 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm (2 years ago)

These are great! And seemingly easy :) Where did you find the boxes? At a craft store like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby?

December 28, 2012 at 1:40 pm (2 years ago)

All the supplies I got at Michael’s.The wooden boxes are in the wood-working aisle. Happy Crafting! xo Kristin

4. Kayla
    December 28, 2012 at 1:15 pm (2 years ago)

These are beautiful!! I love the idea! Way to get out there right away and jump on the emerald green!!!

5. Anna
    December 28, 2012 at 6:20 pm (2 years ago)

love! challenge for you….i have about 10 ROUND boxes, very plain and boring…what can i do to dress them up?

December 28, 2012 at 6:57 pm (2 years ago)

Paint and bling. Paint and bling :) xo K

6. Veronica
    January 4, 2013 at 11:03 am (2 years ago)

I have been looking for just the right box for days! You just gaveme new hope on something I can do myself! Thanks you rock!

January 4, 2013 at 11:19 am (2 years ago)

So glad I could inspire you, Veronica! Thanks for stopping by. xo Kristin

7. nasyitahtanwahling
    January 17, 2013 at 7:34 am (2 years ago)

I refashioned a really archiac rose-coloured frame-containing box into a goldy thing that brightened up the living room. Meant to blog about it but never got around to it. After reading your post I am inspired! Thanks Kristin! Btw you are looking fab in your profile pic!

Cheers!
    Nasyitah

January 19, 2013 at 8:05 am (2 years ago)

Very cool! Thanks so much for that :) xo Kristin

8. Kimberli
    January 29, 2013 at 12:45 pm (2 years ago)

Question, where do you purchase you unfinished boxes? I can’t find any that ate super inexpensive

January 29, 2013 at 12:47 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, Kimberli :) I purchased mine at Michael’s and used online coupons. I ended up getting them super cheap, only about $2 each. Hope that helps. xo Kristin

9. Lo
    March 8, 2013 at 9:31 pm (1 year ago)

Are you kidding me with these boxes? This is SO happening in my home!

March 9, 2013 at 7:43 am (1 year ago)

Fun, Lo! So easy and inexpensive! Happy Creating! xo Kristin

10. Stephanie
    March 15, 2014 at 5:05 pm (6 months ago)

Boxes are beautiful. Question – where did you get the gold birds?

March 16, 2014 at 6:47 pm (5 months ago)

Hi Stephanie :) Thanks so much. I got them at Goodwill. xo Kristin

9Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY Emerald Green Decorative Box

1. [...] DIY projects that I’ve seen over the past few months that I’m dying to try.  Including this super cute navy jewel box by Kristin at [...]

2. [...] Crafty Decorative Boxes: Emerald Green & Gold/Navy & Gold/Black & Gold [...]

3. [...] Crafty Decorative Boxes: Emerald Green & Gold/Navy & Gold/Black & Gold [...]

4. [...] Cutia de mai jos este un mic proiect DIY, al cărui tutorial îl găsiți aici. [...]

5. [...] beautiful box was created by Kristin the author of Bliss at Home and she did such a lovely job that I saw it and instantly wanted [...]