Glitter Reindeer Art

Merry Christmas! I mean…Good Morning…OR do I? Bwahahahaha!

I don’t know why I just evil-laughed. It just felt right. Maybe it’s the idea of doing Christmas crafts in October.

Here’s the reveal of my first holiday craft thanks to Pinterest, of course!

Kelsey at www.justdaisydreaming.blogspot.com had a great idea for some festive holiday art and I had to do it too!

For her complete post click HERE.

HERS:

MINE:

I just followed her tutorial on how to make it except instead of downloading a reindeer template, I just drew my own. I also went larger scale and used a 12×16 canvas instead of a 9×12. I absolutely adore it! Yay! One Christmas craft down, so many more to go!

Supplies:

9×12 or 12×16 canvas

glitter of choice

Elmer’s glue

small paint brush

pencil

scissors

toothpicks

download a deer template or make your own(I sketched mine on some cardstock for easy tracing onto the canvas.)

hairspray

**the only things I had to purchase for this project were the glitter for $2.99 and the canvas for 6.99 and some tax.

This is another easy craft. I just traced my deer onto the canvas and painted my glue on. I did a heavy layer of glitter and let it dry before shaking off the excess. I used Kelsey’s tip, and used a toothpick to even out the lines. To help keep the glitter in place I sprayed it with extra hold hairspray because let’s face it, glitter can be a messy thing!

Love. Love. Love it!

I also found a great deal at Hobby Lobby in the fabric department. They sell sequined 16×16 pillow covers for $6.99 in all different colors. If you have a 40 percent off coupon you’re getting that puppy for cheap! Just in time for the glitzy holiday season too!

It’s going to be a sparkly holiday this 2012!

Happy Tuesday!!

Comments

• thriftykristy says

Lulu, LOL! I am a planner, it’s my blessing and my curse. I like to have a game plan and stick to it. When I counted the weeks until the day after Thanksgiving (when we holiday decorate here at my casa) I thought…6 weeks…oh, man that will feel like 3 weeks in mommyland 😉 xo Kristin

1. says

Love this project – So creative! Thanks for the inspiration :). Your reindeer turned out fantastic – I wish I could freehand like that!

• thriftykristy says

Thanks, Leah! It was so easy to do, and if you don’t like to sketch, they have some really great templates you can download and enlarge online 😉 xo Kristin

2. says

Too soon! For Christmas that is…okay okay maybe not for getting it started…hey I have a request though, we are throwing a Halloween/house warming party in a couple of weeks…do you have any suggestions as to some frugal yet amazing Halloween decorations>?

• thriftykristy says

I know, I know. People fall into two categories: those who start thinking about Christmas in July and those who want to wait until it is the appropriate time. I definitely fall into the first category! I have a couple inexpensive Halloween crafts I could blog about if you want to use them. I can blog on them this week :) xo Kristin

• thriftykristy says

Haha! It’s contagious! I am just trying to squeeze in the Christmas crafts before we get crazy busy with the holiday season :) xo Kristin

3. says

Oh how stunning! Looks so good, I’d have sparkle everywhere and K luv the sequined pillow what to add some bling to all that Navy. Nice choice. :) Off the topic is your neck of the woods feeling the chill yet inspiring your festive flairs? I still feel like I’m living in summer and prematurely planted grass which needs lots of watering. :(

• thriftykristy says

Hi, J! We have had nights in the 30’s and frost. Our heat kicked on all by it’s own one night. That is what inspired me to think festive. Over the weekend we used our fireplace for the first time this year and it got me in the mood. When does fall hit over there? Is it late or is it an off year?

• Jeni Johnson says

Fall should of began by now, about this time last year there were floods by constant rain according to other friends. Anyway- The same for San Diego which hit record breaking highs in the 100’s in September! Quite a seasonal delay. So you can see just un-festive I’m feeling. Especially being in a new country I don’t even think I’m going to pumpkinize our place.

4. says

This looks so great! Thanks for sharing! I am still trying to play catch up with my Thanksgiving/Fall decorations :) but I am hoping this glittery reindeer will help give me a head start with Christmas this year :) Thanks for sharing!

• thriftykristy says

When I saw that on Pinterest, I thought, “Oh, YES! must make it!” Kelsey had a great idea! Let me know if your hobby lobby carries the pillow covers in gold, they didn’t offer it at mine. Have fun! xo Kristin

5. says

Kristy…I made this too…thanks to you! However…I got impatient and it not end well. ;p You’ll have to check out my #inneedofbotox reindeer! <3 Heidi Rew from PartiesforPennies.com

6. says

I finally found a non-glitter way to bring an adorable reindeer silhouette into my home! I can’t draw AT ALL, but I can trace, so I just copied a reindeer onto felt and ironed him to a pillow! Thanks for the inspiration!

7. Hswat says

I love your glitter reindeer! I want to make one for myself! Do you think modge podge would work or is elmer’s glue the way to go?

Trackbacks