Glitter Reindeer Art

Merry Christmas! I mean…Good Morning…OR do I? Bwahahahaha!

I don’t know why I just evil-laughed. It just felt right. Maybe it’s the idea of doing Christmas crafts in October.

Here’s the reveal of my first holiday craft thanks to Pinterest, of course!

Kelsey at http://www.justdaisydreaming.blogspot.com had a great idea for some festive holiday art and I had to do it too!

For her complete post click HERE.

HERS:

MINE:

I just followed her tutorial on how to make it except instead of downloading a reindeer template, I just drew my own. I also went larger scale and used a 12×16 canvas instead of a 9×12. I absolutely adore it! Yay! One Christmas craft down, so many more to go!

Supplies:

9×12 or 12×16 canvas

glitter of choice

Elmer’s glue

small paint brush

pencil

scissors

toothpicks

download a deer template or make your own(I sketched mine on some cardstock for easy tracing onto the canvas.)

hairspray

**the only things I had to purchase for this project were the glitter for $2.99 and the canvas for 6.99 and some tax.

This is another easy craft. I just traced my deer onto the canvas and painted my glue on. I did a heavy layer of glitter and let it dry before shaking off the excess. I used Kelsey’s tip, and used a toothpick to even out the lines. To help keep the glitter in place I sprayed it with extra hold hairspray because let’s face it, glitter can be a messy thing!

Love. Love. Love it!

I also found a great deal at Hobby Lobby in the fabric department. They sell sequined 16×16 pillow covers for $6.99 in all different colors. If you have a 40 percent off coupon you’re getting that puppy for cheap! Just in time for the glitzy holiday season too!

It’s going to be a sparkly holiday this 2012!

Happy Tuesday!!

52 Comments on Glitter Reindeer Art

1. lulu
    October 9, 2012 at 7:23 am (2 years ago)

Omit ish, you are way ahead of the curve. I can hardly bear to think about Christmas as it means the year is almost over.

October 9, 2012 at 7:38 am (2 years ago)

Lulu, LOL! I am a planner, it’s my blessing and my curse. I like to have a game plan and stick to it. When I counted the weeks until the day after Thanksgiving (when we holiday decorate here at my casa) I thought…6 weeks…oh, man that will feel like 3 weeks in mommyland ;) xo Kristin

2. Leah
    October 9, 2012 at 7:28 am (2 years ago)

Love this project – So creative! Thanks for the inspiration :). Your reindeer turned out fantastic – I wish I could freehand like that!

October 9, 2012 at 7:39 am (2 years ago)

Thanks, Leah! It was so easy to do, and if you don’t like to sketch, they have some really great templates you can download and enlarge online ;) xo Kristin

3. champydreamsboxedwinebudget
    October 9, 2012 at 10:21 am (2 years ago)

Love this! Such a chic way to decorate for the holidays! I have a rule about avoiding Christmas decor before Halloween but I can’t wait to do this when the time comes! Very, very cute! xx

October 9, 2012 at 10:34 am (2 years ago)

You should make one, after Halloween ;) So easy and I agree, very chic! xo Kristin

4. EverdayLivingPNW
    October 9, 2012 at 10:38 am (2 years ago)

Too soon! For Christmas that is…okay okay maybe not for getting it started…hey I have a request though, we are throwing a Halloween/house warming party in a couple of weeks…do you have any suggestions as to some frugal yet amazing Halloween decorations>?

October 9, 2012 at 11:03 am (2 years ago)

I know, I know. People fall into two categories: those who start thinking about Christmas in July and those who want to wait until it is the appropriate time. I definitely fall into the first category! I have a couple inexpensive Halloween crafts I could blog about if you want to use them. I can blog on them this week :) xo Kristin

5. nwbnstr
    October 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm (2 years ago)

Love it!! I’m definitely going to have to make one for myself!

October 9, 2012 at 12:28 pm (2 years ago)

Yay! So festive! xo Kristin

6. Alex @ northstory
    October 9, 2012 at 12:29 pm (2 years ago)

Great, now I want to start on Christmas decorations and I’ve just started with the Fall stuff. :)

October 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm (2 years ago)

Haha! It’s contagious! I am just trying to squeeze in the Christmas crafts before we get crazy busy with the holiday season :) xo Kristin

7. Kelsey @ Daisy Dreaming
    October 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm (2 years ago)

Great job Kristin! That is awesome you can freehand like that! Thanks for the credit and just love the power of Pinterest! Check back soon for some new Christmas projects I’m working on too!

October 9, 2012 at 1:16 pm (2 years ago)

Can’t wait to see what you come up with, Kelsey! Thanks again for the inspiration :) xo Kristin

8. Jeni Johnson
    October 9, 2012 at 1:14 pm (2 years ago)

Oh how stunning! Looks so good, I’d have sparkle everywhere and K luv the sequined pillow what to add some bling to all that Navy. Nice choice. :) Off the topic is your neck of the woods feeling the chill yet inspiring your festive flairs? I still feel like I’m living in summer and prematurely planted grass which needs lots of watering. :(

October 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, J! We have had nights in the 30′s and frost. Our heat kicked on all by it’s own one night. That is what inspired me to think festive. Over the weekend we used our fireplace for the first time this year and it got me in the mood. When does fall hit over there? Is it late or is it an off year?

• Jeni Johnson
        October 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm (2 years ago)

Fall should of began by now, about this time last year there were floods by constant rain according to other friends. Anyway- The same for San Diego which hit record breaking highs in the 100′s in September! Quite a seasonal delay. So you can see just un-festive I’m feeling. Especially being in a new country I don’t even think I’m going to pumpkinize our place.

October 9, 2012 at 1:55 pm (2 years ago)

Well, the upside to your new country is that amazing bar cart you picked up! xo K

• Jeni Johnson
        October 9, 2012 at 2:05 pm (2 years ago)

True. Would you have one with kids in the house?

October 9, 2012 at 2:12 pm (2 years ago)

Yes, but I would only stock it for parties and dinners.

9. ballinonabudgetblog
    October 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm (2 years ago)

This looks so great! Thanks for sharing! I am still trying to play catch up with my Thanksgiving/Fall decorations :) but I am hoping this glittery reindeer will help give me a head start with Christmas this year :) Thanks for sharing!

October 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm (2 years ago)

You betcha! It is super festive and fun. Easy too ;) xo Kristin

10. Sarah {Lacquer and Linen}
    October 10, 2012 at 12:26 am (2 years ago)

I can’t believe you drew this free hand! I am such a mess at drawing! You could do this on pumpkins too! :-)

October 10, 2012 at 7:40 am (2 years ago)

Cute idea, Sarah! xo Kristin

11. twopurplecouches
    October 12, 2012 at 12:21 pm (2 years ago)

Love your canvas! And those Hobby Lobby sequined pillow covers! May have to schedule a little trip to HL this weekend :)

October 12, 2012 at 12:27 pm (2 years ago)

When I saw that on Pinterest, I thought, “Oh, YES! must make it!” Kelsey had a great idea! Let me know if your hobby lobby carries the pillow covers in gold, they didn’t offer it at mine. Have fun! xo Kristin

12. Jayne
    November 4, 2012 at 6:22 am (1 year ago)

Be still my heart! I LOVE the glitter reindeer and that sequin pillow, super glam!

November 5, 2012 at 7:45 am (1 year ago)

I love shiny and glam for the holidays :) xo Kristin

13. SaraBates
    November 28, 2012 at 9:24 pm (1 year ago)

love it! I thought I was early starting in November, lol! I could barely wait to post my latest DIY

November 28, 2012 at 9:29 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks, Sarah! I feel like every holiday keeps getting pushed earlier and earlier. Next year I will object…I say that but in blog world that is pretty much impossible! xo Kristin

November 28, 2012 at 9:29 pm (1 year ago)

Oh, I almost forgot! I hope you join us tomorrow for our holiday tablescape linky! I can’t wait to see all the designs!!!!

14. Heidi Rew
    December 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm (1 year ago)

Kristy…I made this too…thanks to you! However…I got impatient and it not end well. ;p You’ll have to check out my #inneedofbotox reindeer! <3 Heidi Rew from PartiesforPennies.com

15. Sarah
    December 4, 2012 at 10:28 am (1 year ago)

I finally found a non-glitter way to bring an adorable reindeer silhouette into my home! I can’t draw AT ALL, but I can trace, so I just copied a reindeer onto felt and ironed him to a pillow! Thanks for the inspiration!

December 4, 2012 at 12:30 pm (1 year ago)

Cute, Sarah! I’ll have to check it out! Anything woodland seems to be all the rage for these colder months ;) xo Kristin

16. Michaela Noelle
    December 4, 2012 at 11:16 am (1 year ago)

OH– I love this. The glitter, the chevron patterned bulletin board in the back, the pillow. Adore every last piece :) Thanks for linking up with the Christmas Cheer party today!

December 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm (1 year ago)

Thanks for stopping by MIchaela :) Love your blog and love a good link party! xo Kristin

17. Hswat
    December 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm (1 year ago)

I love your glitter reindeer! I want to make one for myself! Do you think modge podge would work or is elmer’s glue the way to go?

December 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm (1 year ago)

Hmmm…Elmer’s worked great for mine, but I’m sure that mod podge would work too. Thanks for stopping by :) Kristin

18. thriftykristy
    November 26, 2012 at 5:19 pm (1 year ago)

Love your rustic spin on it! Great job! xo Kristin

12Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Glitter Reindeer Art

1. [...] stencilled canvas.  I had an extra canvas laying around and my initial idea was to totally copy this awesome idea that I saw on Bliss. (awesome blog by the way, check it out!) and I still want to do that, but on a [...]

2. [...] because I’m putting some more rustic elements into our decor this year. I was inspired by this reindeer head silhouette, but chose to do mine a bit [...]

3. [...] mine last weekend but finished up this past weekend. I attempted a project inspired by a pin from Bliss at Home who got the idea from Daisy Dreaming. “Attempted” is the key word here. My project was [...]

4. [...] and your favorite online retailers and shops. I flirted with it this fall and winter when I made my glittered reindeer art. Then, I was on the hunt for some antlers or faux taxidermy that wouldn’t break the bank. [...]

5. [...] word up) craft I’ve ever done and I’m sorta kinda really in love with it. I first saw this pin and knew that something similar needed to make it’s way in my home. Christmas decoration [...]

6. […] Although I found about 973429 cute DIY ideas to choose from on Pinterest, I decided on making an easy glitter reindeer art piece I saw in a pin by Bliss at Home. […]

7. […] inspiration came from this glitter reindeer art that I pinned a while ago. I liked the simply get sparkly look of the art and it looked like […]

8. […] Glitter Reindeer Art – This is simple, yet so chic, and would look wonderful on your desk, in the kids room, or up […]