Plain and simple. I would rather spend as little money as possible on stuff. The world is full of too much stuff! We have so much stuff we just haul all our old or even brand new stuff to the nearest thrift store when we grow tired of it. I am not complaining, even though it kind of sounds whiny of me to go on like this. Don’t get me wrong–I love stuff, especially when it is stuff for my home or a design. I just think as consumers we are overloaded with stuff to buy. So, I was wondering while writing this how many times I said stuff. Seven times, yeah, I just did that!
Back on track. This is a problem for someone like me. I love to create beautiful spaces with creature comforts. I just don’t want to spend a lot on my personal belongings. So, whenever we are working on a project for our home, I always thrift before I run to the nearest retailer. There are exceptions, but most things can be purchased the thrift route.
And this is why:
Today, I set out with 2 things in mind.
1. Some sort of plate or stand to hold my sink side items.
2. Some kind of tray and items to make a coffee station by my coffee maker.
Here is what I found, and why a quick trip to the thrift store is so worth it!
1. Stainless steel paper towel rack. $3.38. (This was picked up a couple thrift trips ago.) It retails at Target for $19.99.
2. Glass Hurricane $1.38. $9.99 at Target.
3. Marble stand $3.38. Researched the same diameter, marble, and thickness and this would run you anywhere from $20 to $30.
1. Pampered Chef Woven Selections Tray $3.38. These are a retired series and this one for example goes for $25-$75 on Ebay.
2. 2 Fiestaware white mugs. $.38 each. These are sold in all the major department stores now for $13.99 each.
3. OGGI tight seal canister $2.38. This is $23.00 dollars online and at nice kitchen supply stores, like Chefs, and KITCHENS.
Let’s compare the damages:
If I bought all these items at retailers: $125.96 plus tax.
My price from the thrift store: $14.66 plus tax–$15.69.
Good quality items, and easy on the wallet.
Have a great weekend!!!!