This is Why I Thrift

Plain and simple. I would rather spend as little money as possible on stuff. The world is full of too much stuff! We have so much stuff we just haul all our old or even brand new stuff to the nearest thrift store when we grow tired of it. I am not complaining, even though it kind of sounds whiny of me to go on like this. Don’t get me wrong–I love stuff, especially when it is stuff for my home or a design. I just think as consumers we are overloaded with stuff to buy. So, I was wondering while writing this how many times I said stuff. Seven times, yeah, I just did that!

Back on track.  This is a problem for someone like me. I love to create beautiful spaces with creature comforts. I just don’t want to spend a lot on my personal belongings. So, whenever we are working on a project for our home, I always thrift before I run to the nearest retailer. There are exceptions, but most things can be purchased the thrift route.

And this is why:

Today, I set out with 2 things in mind.

1. Some sort of plate or stand to hold my sink side items.

2. Some kind of tray and items to make a coffee station by my coffee maker.

Here is what I found, and why a quick trip to the thrift store is so worth it!

1. Stainless steel paper towel rack. $3.38. (This was picked up a couple thrift trips ago.) It retails at Target for $19.99.

2. Glass Hurricane $1.38. $9.99 at Target.

3. Marble stand $3.38. Researched the same diameter, marble, and thickness and this would run you anywhere from $20 to $30.

1. Pampered Chef Woven Selections Tray $3.38. These are a retired series and this one for example goes for $25-$75 on Ebay.

2. 2 Fiestaware white mugs. $.38 each. These are sold in all the major department stores now for $13.99 each.

3. OGGI tight seal canister $2.38. This is $23.00 dollars online and at nice kitchen supply stores, like Chefs, and KITCHENS.

Let’s compare the damages:

If I bought all these items at retailers: $125.96 plus tax.

My price from the thrift store:  $14.66 plus tax–$15.69.

Good quality items, and easy on the wallet.

Have a great weekend!!!!

26 Comments on This is Why I Thrift

1. Shannon
    August 25, 2012 at 7:31 am (2 years ago)

Which thrift stores do you recommend/has the best selections?

August 27, 2012 at 7:27 am (2 years ago)

Goodwill is always on the list of places I check. Where I live we have several of them to choose from. Their selection changes daily. I also like flea market/antique malls for the same reason. Thanks for reading! xoxo Kristin

2. nwbnstr
    August 25, 2012 at 8:32 am (2 years ago)

You found some GREAT stuff!! I’m new to thrifting, but I love it for all of the same reasons that you do. It’s much smarter in my opinion to try and upcycle old items before going and spending 4 or 5 times the price in a retail store.

August 27, 2012 at 7:28 am (2 years ago)

I agree totally! Thanks for reading! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I was out of town with the family. xoxo Kristin

• nwbnstr
        August 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm (2 years ago)

No problem, that’s what weekends are for :)

3. thecleverspender
    August 25, 2012 at 8:51 am (2 years ago)

OOOO a coffee station!! I like it!! Great idea to look up the retail prices to compare. Doesn’t it just make you so happy to get these great deals? Speaking of stuff, I think I’m at my limit for candle holders. That is the spot I always go to first at GW!

August 27, 2012 at 7:29 am (2 years ago)

I find most people that thrift always have an area they check out first. I always go to the furniture section and then the housewares aisles. xoxo Kristin

4. Healthy Glow Nutrition
    August 25, 2012 at 10:02 am (2 years ago)

I LOVE it! Great finds! Now I wish you were in Canada so I that way I would know where all the great thrift stores are. What we have here is hit or miss, but I have found some great things over the years :)

August 27, 2012 at 7:34 am (2 years ago)

I always check out the thrift/antique stores when I visit a new place. Always neat to see what they have in another part of the world! Thanks for sharing, Kristin.

• Healthy Glow Nutrition
        August 27, 2012 at 8:24 am (2 years ago)

Great idea Kristin! I’ll definitely keep it in mind when we travel. You never know what goodies you might find.
        Thanks again,
        Eva

5. greendecorum
    August 25, 2012 at 10:21 am (2 years ago)

Thrifty Kristy, that is awesome! Thrift stores are amazing- my dad got a Burberry sports jacket at one and paid about $4 for it on “half off day”. Online it is considered vintage and has original labels- it’s worth so much now! Great finds- keep up the great work and awesome blog :)

August 27, 2012 at 7:36 am (2 years ago)

Thanks so much! I am glad you are enjoying it! Burberry–swoon! That is an awesome find! Thanks for reading :) Kristin

6. diypassion
    August 25, 2012 at 10:57 am (2 years ago)

Nice post :) I have a similar one coming up …I can’t believe how many useful items we’ve bought at thrift stores. I really like your canisters! Also, hooray for American sales tax… up here in Canada, we pay 15% …lol Still way better to thrift though.

August 27, 2012 at 7:37 am (2 years ago)

15%! That is almost double our sales tax in Illinois. Look forward to reading your post. xoxo Kristin

7. greenlightlady
    August 25, 2012 at 12:33 pm (2 years ago)

Yes, oh yes, I am with you on this one. On date nights we go to our local thrift store first and then maybe go for coffee. I am so grateful to the ladies who taught me the thrill of the thrift store hunt! Happy hunting to all… ~ Wendy

August 27, 2012 at 7:30 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for sharing, Wendy! xoxo Kristin

8. lulu
    August 26, 2012 at 8:25 am (2 years ago)

Why is it when I try to thrift, I rarely find the good deals? There must be a talent to it.

August 27, 2012 at 7:40 am (2 years ago)

Hmmmm…I don’t know. I have been frequenting thrift stores for a while. I think it helps knowing what you are looking for and having an eye for a good quality item. Not all trips are successes, but I just go once a week for about 30 mins. if I have the time and usually find something worth DIYing or using for a project. Happy Hunting :) Kristin

August 27, 2012 at 7:41 am (2 years ago)

Try it, you will love it! xoxo Kristin

9. ohbygolly
    August 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm (2 years ago)

Yep, I totally get it! My post today was encouraging people to thrift their clothes for cheap and then make them what you want them. Can’t wait to move into our new home…I’ll be thrifting home decore a lot!

August 28, 2012 at 7:20 am (2 years ago)

That is great! I buy most of my clothes by thrifting usually with the exception of jeans. I am so tall I have a hard time finding long enough jeans at the thrift store. People are always shocked when they ask where I get something and I say Goodwill! Congrats on your new home! xoxo Kristin

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on This is Why I Thrift