DIY Mercury Glass

I love mercury glass and have started collecting it. I am helping with a wedding in the next year and thought it would look very pretty at the reception for votive holders and vases. The only problem is the hefty price tag. So, I thought I’d try my hand at making my own.

For this DIY you will need:

A glass vase, dish, or candle holder. This one is a cheapo from the dollar store.

vinegar & water & a spray bottle. Mix half water and half vinegar.

Krylon Looking Glass Spray from the craft store.

Step 1:  Spray the inside with Looking Glass Spray.

Spray lightly about 5 coats, drying 1 minute between coats. This was a tight squeeze so I had some running, but it was okay because it was the inside.

Step 2:  Distress it!

Spray vinegar/water mixture lightly. It will bead. Let sit for about 20-30 secs and lightly use a paper towel and wipe and blot.

3.  Repeat! Repeat steps 1 & 2 on the outside until you acheive the desired effect.

Outside

4.  Spray light coat of Looking Glass Spray over the outside.

Let dry 1 hour before handling.

And the result…

Beautiful faux mercury glass. I placed it next to some of my real mercury glass pieces and I think it turned out pretty darn good!

I think that will work for the wedding :)

18 Comments on DIY Mercury Glass

1. Tara Melissa
    June 28, 2012 at 10:22 am (2 years ago)

I have to say…I’ve seen a lot of faux mercury glass tutorials in the blogosphere, but the results from this one are head and shoulders above those that I’ve seen.

Nice work :)

June 28, 2012 at 12:38 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks, Tara! That was another reason why I wanted to do it. Some of those tutorials make it more complicated than it has to be. Sometimes simple is better. I think next to real deal it doesn’t look too shabby if I do say so myself ;)

2. Cheryl Theus
    June 28, 2012 at 5:32 pm (2 years ago)

I will be using this for my black and white room It is accenetd in mirrored glass boxes and I would love to take my old vases and glass vessels to make a couple groupings on the black shelving. Thank You for posting. You go Girl!

June 28, 2012 at 5:36 pm (2 years ago)

Hi, Aunt C! This was so easy and quick to do! I love things that aren’t too complicated. Black and White room, eh? I want to see that! That is what we are doing in our kitchen :)

3. Apartment Envy
    August 20, 2012 at 11:53 am (2 years ago)

What an awesome job! I’m totally trying this :)

August 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks, it was really easy :) Kristin

December 4, 2012 at 8:56 am (2 years ago)

It’s super easy! xo Kristin

4. Jennifer
    August 6, 2013 at 9:07 am (12 months ago)

Do you spray with looking glass once then water/vinegar and then repeat 5x. Or spray with looking glass 5x then vinegar/water?

August 6, 2013 at 9:12 am (12 months ago)

Hi Jennifer, you spray five light coats of the Looking Glass Spray. Wait a minute between coats. Then follow with your water and vinegar mixture. You don’t need to use much of that at all. Just distress to your liking. Happy Painting! xo Kristin

5. Hayley Thomas
    January 16, 2014 at 12:24 pm (6 months ago)

Can you then put water in these and use as you would normally for flowers or will the paint get messed up?

January 16, 2014 at 1:23 pm (6 months ago)

Hi Hayley, I would only do the outside if you are going to be using them for fresh flowers. I use mine for candles and haven’t had any issues with the paint flaking, but I do think if it was submerged it could flake off. xo Kristin

6. Lisa B.
    June 7, 2014 at 9:48 am (2 months ago)

This is the first tutorial that I have seen that does both inside and outside of the bade. The result is beautiful. Much more depth.

7. Donna
    June 27, 2014 at 3:03 pm (4 weeks ago)

So if I understand this right – the water and vinegar mixture sprayed on after the 5 coats of paint makes the paint wipe or dab off?? And, do you use a paper towel to distress? Thanks

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY Mercury Glass

1. [...] make my own, I bought the paint a long time ago, just never got to it.  A blogger friend of mine, bliss at home, messaged me this morning that she had a tutorial on her blog, so today was the day.  If you get [...]

2. [...] make my own, I bought the paint a long time ago, just never got to it.  A blogger friend of mine, bliss at home, messaged me this morning that she had a tutorial on her blog, so today was the day.  If you get [...]

3. [...]  These are the most popular from 2012: papered storage box, microwave cart turned bar cart, faux mercury glass,  fabric and nailhead pinboard, and the goodwill lamp [...]