DIY table makeover with mirror finish

Hi, Everyone! I decided to go with the metal table first. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it when I first saw it. I love mirrored furniture and wanted to give the glass a mirrored effect.

This was picked up at a thrift shop for less than $10.

Products I used for this project:

When painting furniture always remember what it is going to be placed next to. In this case, the walls of the room are darker so I wanted the piece to stand out so I opted for white. You could also use metal primer and metal paint spray. This lacquer works well on many types of indoor furniture, metal included.

Step 1: Paint it!

No priming is required when using this lacquer paint, which goes against every painting instinct I possess! It covers so well and you can recoat immediately if need be. No bubbling or cracking. It is a beautiful product!

Step 2: Mirror it!

Make sure you clean the side of the glass you are spraying or fingerprints and dust could show on the otherside. On the backside of the glass you use your Krylon Mirror Spray. Spray about 5 coats and wait a minute between coats. This will dry to a dull finish, but never fear–that is how it should look.

Let it dry for an hour at least.

3. Flip it!

Now for that mirror look!

It’s a mirror!

Remember before…

This is not the permenant home for this table, but I wanted to show you how it could look and be styled. I love it!

16 Comments on DIY table makeover with mirror finish

1. heather
    June 18, 2012 at 5:33 pm (2 years ago)

omg- gorgeous!!!

June 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks!!!
      making mercury glass next if you want to join me :)

2. wendy
    June 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm (2 years ago)

Looks really great!

3. Shelly
    June 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm (2 years ago)

simply amah-zing Kristin!

4. becomingelizabeth
    June 18, 2012 at 10:02 pm (2 years ago)

Love this! The mirror paint is brilliant! I didn’t even know it existed!

June 18, 2012 at 11:42 pm (2 years ago)

It is a really great product. You can get it at any hobby or craft store. I even think I’ve seen it at wal-mart. Thanks for reading!

5. Tara Melissa
    June 19, 2012 at 11:12 am (2 years ago)

Love it! The mirrored top is perfection for this.

I think a table like this would also be fantastic for a little punch of color…it wouldn’t be overwhelming (for those who just want a little color), since the metal framing of the table isn’t big and bulky.
    I want one in a pale butter for my girls’ room…hmmm…or a pretty peach for my coffee porch. Lol

June 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm (2 years ago)

I agree totally! I love a bunch of color. I was kicking around doing an electric teal or citron, but I have another piece of furniture I am going to have as a statement piece for that room. I think you will love it!

6. Kristyn
    June 21, 2012 at 3:15 pm (2 years ago)

Love what you did to this table! The arrows remind me of The Hunger Games design trend that’s going on right now haha–so cute. Love your blog :)

June 21, 2012 at 4:35 pm (2 years ago)

Arrows are big right now. Loved the Hunger Games ;). Thanks so much, Kristyn. Good name–by the way! I love that you spell it with a “y”!

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on DIY table makeover with mirror finish

1. [...] These are the other furniture makeovers that became popular. My favorite is the old Zenith TV table. You also loved the white-painted china cabinet and the mirror-glassed metal accent table. [...]

2. [...] the details on how I painted and added a mirrored finish to the glass you can check out the post here. Just FYI, if you want those arrow tables they are already [...]